Circline Bulb And Ballast - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Circline bulb and ballast

I'm trying to set up a 16" florescent circline to use as a continuous light for stills. I ordered the ballast and the bulb but I'm confused on how to set it up. The bulb has four prongs and the ballast has a few wires. Anyone have experience with this outside of a wall or fixture setup?

The bulb
FC16T9/Utility/40W/16
www.superiorlighting.com/v/vspfiles/photos/20037-SYL-1.jpg

the Ballast
images.grainger.com/B310_32/images/products/450x450/2W769...
Fc12t9 Lamp
Fluorescent Electromagnetic Ballast, Lamp FC12T9, Number of Lamps 1, Input Voltage 120, Input Power 40 Watts, Minimum Starting Temperature 50 Degrees Fahrenheit

PHILIPS ADVANCE
RL-140-TP

Advertisement

anton2148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

here is a pdf that has the connection diagram:

https://www.elliottelectric.com/Inve...DV/RL140TP.pdf

you will want to get the terminal for that type of light to attach the wires to. You light be able to get the clips that are in the fixture that are used to mount the light as well.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
here is a pdf that has the connection diagram:

https://www.elliottelectric.com/Inve...DV/RL140TP.pdf

you will want to get the terminal for that type of light to attach the wires to. You light be able to get the clips that are in the fixture that are used to mount the light as well.
Thanks, but I'm a real novice. I think I need a picture or a video of how this works. Right now i'm up ****'s creek.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Um, there is a picture on that page.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Um, there is a picture on that page.
I only see a diagram. I don't know what tools or extra parts I need or exactly how to connect the ballast to the bulb. The ends of the wire on the bulb are naked. And the bulb has four mail prongs. I think I need a socket for both ends of the ballast.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton2148 View Post
I only see a diagram. I don't know what tools or extra parts I need or exactly how to connect the ballast to the bulb. The ends of the wire on the bulb are naked. And the bulb has four mail prongs. I think I need a socket for both ends of the ballast.
Not really.,

You will need total of 6 wirenuts either yellow or orange wirenuts { many big box store and hardware store will stock this anyway }

you follow the diagram very carefull it can not be miswired at all and you need a cirulculer flourscent socket some big store may have it and follow the wires leads and colours { note they are keyed so they will fit into the bulb one way but not the other.}

The tool you will need is wirestripper to strip the insulating materal off from the conductors you only need to strip about half inch that it noting more than that.

They are pretty simple to hook up red #1 to red #1 and #2 red to #2 red then bleu to bleu and white to white that it.

the supply side the black to black and white to white plus the white from the tombstone connector that will be wirenutted together.

Make sure you have good ground connection as well otherwise the circline bulb may have hard time to kick on.

C'est simple.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
anton2148 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Not really.,

You will need total of 6 wirenuts either yellow or orange wirenuts { many big box store and hardware store will stock this anyway }

you follow the diagram very carefull it can not be miswired at all and you need a cirulculer flourscent socket some big store may have it and follow the wires leads and colours { note they are keyed so they will fit into the bulb one way but not the other.}

The tool you will need is wirestripper to strip the insulating materal off from the conductors you only need to strip about half inch that it noting more than that.

They are pretty simple to hook up red #1 to red #1 and #2 red to #2 red then bleu to bleu and white to white that it.

the supply side the black to black and white to white plus the white from the tombstone connector that will be wirenutted together.

Make sure you have good ground connection as well otherwise the circline bulb may have hard time to kick on.

C'est simple.

Merci,Marc
Thanks. Know any places online to find the right socket? I live on Miami Beach, and am currently carless. Not the best place to look for hardware. So the socket will connect to the bulb and the wall?

Advertisement