Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
the Musigician

Share |

Christmas lights under vinyl siding?

i was thinking since i'm building all new around the outside of my home if i can run Christmas lights under the top piece of siding and drop strings down the corner pieces and have the lights softly shining through the siding. when turned off during the day, they'd be unseen, and easy to replace the string if i use screws on the top pieces. i hate the 'icicles' i see people leave on their homes all year long and think this would be a real nice way to not have to put up strings in cold weather every year. i got the idea when my neighbor put lights on his 12/4 roof and when the snow covered the lights it looked awesome! any thoughts or forseen problems with this idea?

tnkx!

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Electrician's Helper

Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
i was thinking since i'm building all new around the outside of my home if i can run Christmas lights under the top piece of siding and drop strings down the corner pieces and have the lights softly shining through the siding. when turned off during the day, they'd be unseen, and easy to replace the string if i use screws on the top pieces. i hate the 'icicles' i see people leave on their homes all year long and think this would be a real nice way to not have to put up strings in cold weather every year. i got the idea when my neighbor put lights on his 12/4 roof and when the snow covered the lights it looked awesome! any thoughts or forseen problems with this idea?

tnkx!

DM
Just so people know there is a limit as to how long christmas lights can be up. It is 90 days. I forget the code section it is in but it is under temporary and decrotive lighting.

Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
the Musigician

evidentally, it's not real well enforced around here! -=chuckle=- any forseen problems though? i want to use the new led strings so heat is no problem. and the on/off will be a powered switch inside on the front porch.

DM
Old 10-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Electrician's Helper

most siding you wont be able to see it through it anyway.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Well, for one, Christmas lights aren't made to be permanently installed, and this is effectively what that is. Second, They are so cheaply made in the deepest reaches of the Chinese jungles that I'd be afraid to stick them inside my soffit. However, if you bought some really good quality strings, and maybe had them on an AFCI/GFCI you may be okay.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Electrician's Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Well, for one, Christmas lights aren't made to be permanently installed, and this is effectively what that is.

Like I said in a previous post they are legally allowed up for only 90 days at a time.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge565 View Post
Like I said in a previous post they are legally allowed up for only 90 days at a time.
I think that is more of a locality ordinance than an honest-to-God building code. It depends on where you are.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #8

It must be some thin or cheap siding you have that allows light to shine through it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
It must be some thin or cheap siding you have that allows light to shine through it.
I think he means he wants the light to come out of the vent holes in the vinyl soffit.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
the Musigician

nope, not cheap or thin. standard d4 white vinyl. i laid a string of lights outside and put a piece over it last night to see how it'd look. i actually wish it were thinner! but it lets enough light through in the dark out here in the country to create a pleasant glow. the wife loves the idea. no more hanging lights...ever! and so far as any 90 day thing. they'd never SEE them unless i turn them ON! kinda the whole idea, ya know? screwing the top piece will make it easy to replace whole strings if and when needed. tnkx for all your inputs guys!

DM
Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Electrician's Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
I think that is more of a locality ordinance than an honest-to-God building code. It depends on where you are.
Accually it is in the NEC I will look up the accual code tommorow when I get to tech and post it on here it is in there tho.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Electrician's Helper

I have found the code. It is:

590.3(B) 90 days. Temporary electric power and lighting installations shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 days for holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.

This is from the 08 code.

Also just because they don't see them doesn't make it legal.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
the Musigician

ok then pudge.... you win this round... (but i'm gonna do it anyways, i live WAY out in the country and i don't think anyone will ever notice or complain, especially since in town they leave them up year round!) so think what you will about me, i'm used to it. =o)

DM
Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #14
Electrician's Helper

I wasn't really saying that you shouldn't do it just saying that it is illegal and if some jackass wanted to he could report you for it. I will quote I forget who it is but here goes "just because its in the code doesn't make it safe, and Just because it's not in the code doesn't make it unsafe."

Last edited by Pudge565; 10-03-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
the Musigician

good quote! i think that particular code is more for asthetics rather than any safety issues though. although if left out in the rain, chinajunk lights COULD easily cause safety issues. heck, i saw a guy using a pair of chinajunk needlenose pliers and they exploded in his hand, took off half his arm and one eye! naaah, just kidding, but we all know what quality issues they have... that's why i said i was planning on the good ol' USA made led strings they have out now. a bit more pricey, but if one led fries, the others light, and being inside plastic they're protected from the weather year round. now that i think about it, i've even seen Halloween decorations still up in April the next year around here!

DM