Choosing Under Cabinet Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 592

Choosing Under Cabinet Lighting

I'm planning on updating my kitchen as was wondering what the best option for under cabinet lighting is? I will be installing a new backsplash and all new cabinets. Should I hardwire? I have a large kitchen ("G" shape) with breaks in the layout for the stove on one wall and sink on another. So, I would like to get light to just about every cabinet. Can this be done with low voltage? Just need some options I guess.

How difficult is it to actually hardwire cabinet lighting?

Advertisement

Last edited by cibula11; 03-19-2008 at 08:31 PM.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #2

Okay, let me ask this question. If I choose hardwired lights, how do I make them run on one switch. I have an outlet inside a base cabinet that serves no purpose. I thought I could use that as a power source.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I'm planning on updating my kitchen as was wondering what the best option for under cabinet lighting is? I will be installing a new backsplash and all new cabinets. Should I hardwire? I have a large kitchen ("G" shape) with breaks in the layout for the stove on one wall and sink on another. So, I would like to get light to just about every cabinet. Can this be done with low voltage? Just need some options I guess.

How difficult is it to actually hardwire cabinet lighting?
Hi cibula11,

I don't know about wiring. However, we had a post on our blog last month about our kitchen make over which included this article about our kitchen lighting, including pictures of the undermount lighting as well as pendant and recessed ceiling lights. The pictures showing the hardware for the undermount lighting is towards the end.

I hope it helps.
Educator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
Master Of Nothing

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Okay, let me ask this question. If I choose hardwired lights, how do I make them run on one switch. I have an outlet inside a base cabinet that serves no purpose. I thought I could use that as a power source.

If it had power don't see why not. Check and see what is wired into this switch..
To run all off one switch, daisy chain your lights. I have mine wired that way in my shop. One light feeds the next light so on and so on.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

is this repectale located near below kitchen sink or above the stove area like exhaust fan area ? some home they did wired in place like above the stove area that used for exhaust fan hood or mircowave [ that useally a single circuit ] as far if it is below the sink C'est a 50/50 chance it can be used as dishwasher or garbage disopal unit.

but just one quick reminder do not run the zip cord [ flat two wire lamp cord ] inside the wall it is not allowed per NEC code.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. The outlet is next the the stove, but there is a range hood and I assume the power source for that is behind the hood. I think this was used to plug in a timer on an older gas stove. We now have electric, so the outlet is being unused.

Can I put my switch at the end of the run of lights? Or do I need to have it close to the power source?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #7

Where should I install my switch for my cabinet lighting. Does it have to be installed close to my power source, or can I have it at the end of the run of lights? If I have to run lighting to 3 separate areas, will I then have 3 junctions boxes to connect the 3 different areas? Is the basement the best place?

Advertisement