Chest Freezer Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

Chest Freezer Circuit

My wife and I just received a chest freezer from her parents (Frigidaire, about 15 years old, maybe 3' x 2' x 3'). She wants to store it in the back room of our finished basement. In order to do this, I would need to run another outlet from the finished basement outlets into the back room. The circuit i'm looking to pull from is a 15a circuit with 4 or 5 outlets on it (so the freezer would be on the 6th outlet). The only thing plugged into the outlets of that circuit is a 52" television and a souround sound stereo system - all of the other outlets are un-used.

I think the freezer is rated for 5 or 7 amps (I can verify later). Is this ok? If it were to over-load, worst case the breaker would trip right?

I know best practice would be a dedicated circuit, but since the basement is 100% drywall (ceiling and everything) it would be really hard to do without pulling some of that down. The joists don't run in favor of the electrical panel either and it's on the furthest side of the basement.

Advertisement

adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Chest Freezer Circuit

I dont see any reason why you couldnt

What is the nameplate say the amp draw is for this appliance

if the circuit is an AFCI (probably should be, especially since you are making changes to it) some older compressors can cause nuisance tripping (you'll have to just try to see)

The biggest issue is the impact the cycling on/off the compressor will have on your sensitive electronic equipment. I assume the equipment is on a surge suppressor now but if its not a top of the line one you might want to get one (if you are really anal get a $150 APC power backup with voltage protection). How many amps does the 52 inch tv draw?

you are right that a dedicated circuit is best but i feel your pain with respect to the amount of carprentry involved.

Advertisement

kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,836

Chest Freezer Circuit

You should be fine. If the receptacle is in an unfinished part of the basement you would require GFI protection for the new receptacle.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Chest Freezer Circuit

Thanks for the reply.

I have the TV manual on my phone and it says it draws 235w over a 120v circuit - so just under 2 amps. It's an older HD projection TV. I have it on a power surge strip, but nothing expensive. The TV only gets used a handful of times since we only use the basement when we have company. Usually I watch TV upstairs in the living room.

As far as the GFI, let me know based on this:

The back room is 90% finished, it has all painted drywall walls and ceiling as well as cheap carpet. The only section which is not finished is inside the room with HVAC. This room has garage floor paint on the concrete floor, un-painted drywall walls with no ceiling (exposed rafters). I was going to run the wire along the rafters above that room and down to the other side. The outlet would be facing the "finished" part of the back room.

Would that require a GFI still?

I've yet to see any water down there.
Attached Thumbnails
Chest Freezer Circuit-backroom.jpg  

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 06-04-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,836

Chest Freezer Circuit

I would consider that in the finished portion and not needing GFI protection.

BTW, the GFI has nothing to do with the water lines or lack thereof.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #6

Chest Freezer Circuit

Thanks - I wasn't referring to water lines (I have a bunch running through the HVAC room for the HWH), but rather water in the basement from rain or anything else that may puddle.

I also just realized - the florescent light on the ceiling of that room also runs on that same circuit...is that a problem? I'm not sure how much they pull. It has one fixture with two 4-ft tubes.

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 06-04-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #7

Chest Freezer Circuit

No, that really should not be a problem and I agree you dont need a GFCI receptacle in this case. I think your plan is fine.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

Chest Freezer Circuit

Accidental post

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 06-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #9

Chest Freezer Circuit

deleted reply to accidental post

Advertisement