DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

check my wire diagram please. thanks!

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob Mariani 
#1 ·
Hey everyone below is a wire diagram that i planned out for my first house that i will be closing on soon. I have a 3br ranch with an attic to work with and also a basement. My panel is a total of 100 amps. my plans are to add 6 recessed lights in the living room. My living has no ceiling lights or fan to tap off of.

Also i will be putting about 8 recessed lights in the kitchen. Now since I am excited about my first house im already planning without even having the keys lol. Just sucks waiting for the closing...

Please check out my diagram and correct me if needed.

I have to scope out the situation again as instead of getting power from a wall outlet, i might just get power from a switch if there is one in a good location. if not then i will be from a outlet then i will be installing a dimmer switch. do you think 100 amps will be enough? also should i add a breaker or tap into another circuit (as in the wall outlet as in the diagram)? my living room is about 15 x 12 so im thinking about 45 watts per light unless you guys (experts) think thats over kill for a small room.

As for the kitchen I do have a current light over the sink and a chandaler to the side since its a eat in kitchen. As far as mounting is there a rule as far as lighting up a counter and how much to space the lights apart? I really like the 4 inch lights.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#6 ·
Your plan for the living room looks fine. I would, in good practice, just check to see what's all on the circuit you plan on tapping off of first. If you use 45 watt incandesent bulbs and there are 6 of them that would add about 270 watts to that circuit. It'll probably be fine, but I like to check those things out just to be sure you won't be causing any problems with circuit overloading. You may have to add a new circuit/breaker but it all depends. Also make sure that you don't tap off of circuits that are supposed to be dedicated like the kitchen appliance circuits for example. And yes, it is normal to have to add wire to connect the light fixtures.

I don't know of any code on lighting setup for kitchen counters.

I also think 45 watts bulbs are probably plenty, but you'll know after you install them. Unless the fixture says otherwise you can go the next wattage higher if need be.

Like Bob said make sure you're installing the proper fixture if there is insulation involved.

#7 ·
Code specifies that you cannot use the outlets in the kitchen or dinning room for lighting. Any other circuit is fine. If is highly unlikely that and other circuit you use will ba a problem. 100 amp service has nothing to di with this. It is only a factor with your total electrical demand on your house. If your house is 2000 SF or less, you should be fine. 45 watts enough... not likely. Use 75watt and place on a dimmer as you planned. To determine the watts needed Sq/ft of room X 3 watts

wiring between lights is the normal installation. Just be sure all terminations are contained within the fixture junction boxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.