Changing Svc Panel, Not Upgrading Amps - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

changing svc panel, not upgrading amps

i want to lose my pushmatic 100amp panel and replace it with a newer style 100amp panel. i am not upgrading service, that comes at a later date. i am changing the wire coming in from the weatherhead to 4/0 aluminum and changing the meter can in prep for down the road. all changes will be done so i am ready for inspection when i upgrade to 200amp. what i need to know is do i need a permit to do this?? i cannot find the info on the nec sites on line. thanks alot!!

Advertisement

hilltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

NEC sites will not tell you about the permit, only your local city hall or county either by phone call, or their website can tell you what you need.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
hilltop (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #3

i am hoping not, however, if they want one i do have a friend that is licensed elec., so i do have guidance, a "come save my a*%" guy to go to. thanks.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

I would pull a copy of the NEC to keep on hand. The iPhone app from McGraw-Hill is the 2008, the 2011 should be in stores. Still, you want to contact City hall, county, or check their website for the rules where you live. Municodes can be found at http://www.municode.com/library/library.aspx They are limited to Akron, Athens, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton for the municipality codes on their site. Most may have adopted the 2008 codes, there are still some stuck in the 2005 or before.

In our area, a city inspector did not have to inspect the replacement of our replacement from the drop to the new panel, since the electrician that did it, is licensed as a company to perform the scope of work under compliance of the city reg's. Some areas, require a city inspector to actually come in and inspect, before the meter is placed back in service, so really you need to check with your local.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
hilltop (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop View Post
i want to lose my pushmatic 100amp panel and replace it with a newer style 100amp panel. i am not upgrading service, that comes at a later date. i am changing the wire coming in from the weatherhead to 4/0 aluminum and changing the meter can in prep for down the road. all changes will be done so i am ready for inspection when i upgrade to 200amp. what i need to know is do i need a permit to do this?? i cannot find the info on the nec sites on line. thanks alot!!
If you are aware that the 4/0 Alum is used common with 200 amp service set up.

But are you plan to run this in the conduit or just use the SE cable ?? that will make the diffrence how you use the service entrance cable sizing.

You will have to get the permit for this one and the local building inspector will have the latest info what you can do and what not ditto with the POCO { Power Compainé } requriement so expect some change if they do ask for it.

And also they ( POCO ) will be happy to unhook the service drop but they WILL not hook it back up until the service entrance set up is inspected ( many POCO are getting very strict on this for safety issue )

Merci,
Marc
hilltop (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like you are going to a lot of trouble to not be upgrading your service.

A service upgrade usually consists of replacing/upgrading the following:

Service drop conductors
Meter box (if needed)
Cable from meter box to service disconnect
Service disconnect
Load center

Often times, the service disconnect and load center are the same box, as in the case of a main breaker panel mounted directly behind the meter box.

Do I understand correctly that you want to install a new service panel (load center) that is undersized compared to the rest of the system, only to change it to a larger one later? What is the logic in this?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
hilltop (06-13-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #7

cash flow right now. also i may, instead of upgrading to 200 amp, go the sub panel route. the biggest reason for doing this is pushmatic breaker cost, the existing panel is full, and the people who owned the house before me did some half-a*#ed, excuse my language, honkey rigging with other upgrades and work they did on other parts of the house. i could almost write a book on it. my wife and i add at least 8 hours to each project we start to correct what they did just absolutely wrong b4 starting our work. been here 17 years, its a 140 year old brick house, so i have that against me also. this elec fix lets me do the final room, the kitchen.

Last edited by hilltop; 06-12-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

So you are going to replace everything. Using 4/0 for the riser, a 200A meter pan, #2AL into the house and a 100A panel? And the reason you are using the #2 and 100A panel is because of money??????

Do you have any idea the small cost difference between doing this job right, and doing it the way you propose??

I have to say, if you can't afford the $50-$75 difference between a 100A and 200A panel then you should probably wait till you can.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
hilltop (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #9

finally got a chance to come up with COMPLETE material list and, with help from my electrician friend, got pricing. came to $102 more than i figured it before. that also included friend of friend discount at elec. supply house, so time for a 200a upgrade. done once, done right, dont have to screw with it NO MORE!!!

thanks to everyone that responded. beers and shots all around on me.

Advertisement