Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

changing speed of grinder

Guys

I have a one speed "higher speed" (3600 RPM) grinder. I would like to somehow back it down to a much lower speed (1700 RPM) or so to be able to sharpen tools without risk of metal damage due to heat from higher speed.

Is there a way to wire it or an item to add on the power side to only allow so much umph to it so speed is reduced? Ideally I would like to make it variable speed but dont know if possible and will be happy with reduced one speed.

thanks

Gene

MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #2

An AC frequency controller. Intrinsically a signal generator as used for audio testing but constructed to deliver many amperes and probably quite expensive.

Even though a frequency controller has lots of variability, there are practical limits depending on the motor you are running. The lower the frequency the lower the impedance of the motor windings and you run the risk of excessive current draw and overheating.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-19-2011 at 09:45 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
An AC frequency controller. Intrinsically a signal generator as used for audio testing but constructed to deliver many amperes and probably quite expensive.

Even though a frequency controller has lots of variability, there are practical limits depending on the motor you are running. The lower the frequency the lower the impedance of the motor windings and you run the risk of excessive current draw and overheating.
I figured if it wasnt built variable speed not meant to operate as variable speed