Changing Single Phase To 3 Phase - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

changing single phase to 3 phase

can i convert home use single phase supply to 3 phase for comercial sunbed. polly. Scotland.

Advertisement

bentaypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Yes. You need a phase converter. There are two kinds:

Solid State phase converters are little black boxes that electronically produce the 3rd phase. They allow 3-phase motors to start on single phase power, but they don't generate the same power as they do when run on 3 phase. These are limited in capacity to a couple horse-power, but are much cheaper than the next kind.

Rotary phase converters use a 3 phase motor to generate the third leg, and electronics to balance the 3 legs evenly. Motors run on this type of converter have all the power as if run on real 3-phase power off the POCO pole. This come in a wide range of sizes, and can be sized to run even very large motors.

I have no idea how all this applies to a non-motor load like a tanning bed.

I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them if you can use their bed on a solid state phase converter, and what size is needed.

Advertisement

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
General Contractor

I cannot see why a tanning bed would be 3 phase. Unless it has an incredible load when on.....are you sure you are confusing 3 phase with 220 volts?

I am not an electrician, but 3 phase power would have no application for lighting, as far as I know.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,440

I just love these guys that want to make an ass of themselves by replying with total BS so they can get their ad posted.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #5

I am an electrician and all tanning units are different. If it requires a three phase system your only option is to get an induced thrid phase converter. You don't have a need enough for your power supplier to give you a third phase and they don't have any way of giving it to you. The transformer your house house is supplied from is only set up for single phase power. Please read all the info on your tanning unit because that will define the trans x you will need i.e. 277v,480v,600v ect. most trans x are set for a single voltage application.
wiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

Ahem....the OP is in Scotland!

I think that Nate is on the ball but please don't even think for one second that the OP knows what POCO is & also be aware that Scottish voltages etc will not be the same as that of the USA.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:09 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

it possible to get 3 system in Scottland for resdental service.

but the voltage is diffrent than what we have here in UK-Scottland is 240v L-N and 415 L-L

but i dont have the info for getting the Scottland info but i know with French system [ but that diffrent story anyway ]

i am sure the Scottland is pretty much parallel with the UK regulations expect few local issue.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #8

thank you everyone for your help. Scotland does have the same electrical supply as the rest of the uk. 240v. The sunbed is industrial and we only run on single phase. You were correct Elkangorito i haven't got a clue what poco means lol.And i hope op doesn't mean old pensioner lol.
bentaypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
I just love these guys that want to make an ass of themselves by replying with total BS so they can get their ad posted.
Before i read your reply,I thought that was a pretty good idea.I still do.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,440

Then maybe you should take a second and read the forum policy on posting business solicitations on the forum threads. Frankly it's rather annoying to have someone post just to get their ad in front of everyones eyes. As far as the bs about no 3 phase tanning beds and lighting has no 3 phase application...I'm still laughing at that one.

Also remember this op is from Scotland so it makes it more obvious that he had no intention of helping the OP, just his personal interests. If he wants to advertize then buy an ad on the forum in a banner form. Maybe he is just too damn cheap for doing the right thing. Heck why didn't he just open his own thread and give us his life history I'm sure we would all be responsive to that approach.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaypink View Post
i haven't got a clue what poco means lol.And i hope op doesn't mean old pensioner lol.
POCO means Power Company. The electrical utility.

Advertisement

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote