Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Changing single 240v outlet to two 120v outlets??

Hi I currently have a 240v electric range w/ small exhaust hood over it. I'm gonna swap out the electric range for a gas range and the exhaust hood for a microwave w/ exhaust fan. The current exhaust hood is not on a dedicated circuit just part of the kitchen outlets. I want to have a dedicated circuit for the gas range & microwave that will have two 120v outlets on the circuit, one for the gas range and one for the microwave.

My question is can I accomplish what I'm trying to do by using the existing wire but change out the two 50amp breakers in the main panel to one 20amp breaker and put a blank over the other hole and on the other end connect to the existing wire and use it for two 120v outlets??
I'm not an electrician but do have quite a bit of experience with electrical and remodeling, however I want to be sure that I do this correctly and up to code. I can't afford to have an electrician do this so I have to do it myself. Thanks for the help...

tyrboss01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

To answer your question.,,

Oui et Non ( Yes and No ) depending on what type of cable you are using there.

So post us what numbers of conductors in that cable so we will know the answer there.

Merci,
Marc

Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

Yes, you can do this legally. I need to know how many wires are on the old circuit and what colors they are. Also, is the circuit in metal pipe. If pipe, is it exposed at some point where can you read the markings and specs on it. The receptacle, does it stick out from the wall or is it flush with a cover like switches and receptacles in the rest of the house? If it's flush, pull out the guts and shine a flashlight to the back of the box. It will be stamped with a cubic inch number like "17 CU". I need that number. It's not a deal breaker, but I'd like to know what guage wire. Good luck.

Last edited by Glennsparky; 10-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Best bet is to leave the existing range circuit alone and run a new circuit for the oven and micro. This way you still have the option in the future and you are not messing with #6 wire for a 20A circuit.

The gas oven does NOT need it's own circuit unless there is some larger load associated with it. If it is straight gas it can be shared with the micro.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-03-2012), Jim Port (10-03-2012), tyrboss01 (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Everybody, thank you very much for all of your help!!! After thinking it over I decided to take Speedy Petey's advice and just run a new circuit from the panel to the stove & microwave so that I have the option to put the electric range back later down the road if I want to. I do have a question though should the single circuit for the gas range and microwave be 15amp or 20amp?? The microwave pulls 1800 watts continuous but not sure what the startup wattage is and the gas range isn't much cause it's mainly just the electronic ignition & oven light. I was thinking it should probably be a 20amp since the startup wattage on the micro is unknown huh?? Thanks again to everyone for all of your help!!! This is an awesome website!!
tyrboss01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tyrboss01 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Definitely 20A. No reason not to. And the micro at full power plus ANY load from the range will be more than 15A.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-04-2012), tyrboss01 (10-04-2012)