Changing Outlet/Light Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Changing Outlet/Light Switch

Can someone help me out on this. Putting in a new light switch and GFCI outlet in this space. The light switch will control the garbage disposal. Light switch will be on the left side and the outlet will be on the right side. I have seem to have tried every combination with the wires but nothing will work still? I have attached the picture of what I am working with. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Changing Outlet/Light Switch-photo-10-.jpg  

Advertisement

westdrproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

What a mess, what was there before?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you dealing with one or two circuits here?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I'm guessing that there are two circuits here... the one on the left (with the bonded neutrals) controls the GD, and one of the other two pairs is the second circuit for the GFCI, with a leg to a downstream receptacle. That being said, the OP needs to determine exactly which wires in the device box are hot, with a voltmeter or NCV tester.

I don't see any ground wires, so the OP needs to determine if the device box is grounded, also.
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

The box appears to be part of a metal conduit/raceway system. You don't need a separate grounding conductor most of the time with metal conduit. A green pigtail from the box to the outlet would be appropriate if the OP does not use a self-grounding device.

I believe that the switch should be connected to the 2 red wires on the left as well.

The outlet can be wired as a "stand-alone" by connecting both the white wires together on one side, and both the remaining red and yellow wires together on the other side of the terminals marked "line"

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!

Last edited by kbsparky; 12-28-2011 at 08:33 PM.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #6

Unfortunately my father-in-law took apart the outlet and switch without documenting anything. There are two circuits. The red wire on the upper left side is stripped about half way down, the exposed wire was screwed down on the light switch and than ran directly to the GFCI.

My father-in-law said the 2 red wires on the left and the bounded wires were on the light switch. However the bonded wires were not bond at the time but inserted into the switch.

I am fairly certain that the 4 wires on the left go to the switch, and than have no clue what to do with the rest of the stuff.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

The red and white wire in the top of the picture has the power from the circuit.

The yellow wire leads to the garbage disposal.

The red and white wire on the bottom left goes to the dishwasher.

Can someone help me out the rest of the way? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,806

You willl need two pigtails off the power red. One will power the switch and the other will power the GFI. Add one white pigtail to the power white along with the DW white. Connect this white and the one red to the LINE side terminals of the GFI. The yellow will be the other side of the single pole switch. Ground pigtails to box and devices.

This is not how current code would allow. The DW would need to be separate from the countertop circuits. Since you have conduit it might not be too hard to correct this by pulling a new 20 amp circuit for the GFI.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Excuse me for a second is the OP is chicago area if so let me know I will post the common colour format.

The red is typically unswitched and yellow is switched so that part you can able identify it but the netural ( without GFCI or AFCI ) is white while netural with AFCI or GFCI downstream is Gris. ( Grey )

I will dig up the listing of common colour code so I will post it in a bit.

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement

Tags
gfci , light switch