Changing From EMT To PVC For Pool Underground - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Changing from EMT to PVC for pool underground

Folks,
I'm replacing an old corroded EMT line from the breakers to my pool. I can't get the wires out and trying to do so is a whole other topic. So i'm retrenching and want to lay PVC. Is this fine? Do I need schedule 40 or 80? Do I potentially just need 80 where it comes out to meet the boxes? Some of the line runs within 2 feet of the water (along the kool deck). Is it still okay to use PVC here? I may have seen someone mention that you can't use pvc within a certain distance of the water, is that possibly true?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Changing from EMT to PVC for pool underground

I can't see why you can't use it. The whole point of PVC is that its waterproof and lasts longer underground than emt does.

Advertisement

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote