Changing From Dimmer To Regular Switch..help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Changing from dimmer to regular switch..help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just bought a house and there was a light in the living room. It has a dimmer switch on the wall that controls just it. I installed a ceiling fan but the dang thing barely works, with the switch on full, the lights in the lighting fixture on the fan barely glows and the fan moves very slowly. I thought maybe it was the switch so went and got a new regular switch. But when I got the dimmer pulled out there are wires I have no idea where they go. The fan and light has a remote control on on it, I wired it exactly according to the instructions.

The whites are hooked together and are not connected to the switch. The incoming Black (it is a bigger guage wire) is hooked to the black on the switch. The yellow of the switch is hooked to a red and the switch red is hooked to a black.

What wires do I cap off and what do I hook to the two screws on the new regular switch?

I have put in probably 20 or so ceiling fans in the past few decades and this is the first time I have run into one of these dimmer switches.

Advertisement

Last edited by Gomezy3k; 10-03-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Gomezy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,550

Is this fan also controlled from another location? If not please describe the dimmer. It sounds more like a light/fan controller rather than a simple dimmer.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

If I am reading this right with colour codes are you in Chicago ?

If so The black is power feed while yellow typically used for switch leg but some case you may see yellow and red that can be used for shuttle { traveller } do you have second switch in that room ?

Second thing senice you have dimmer that was used to be there and change to standard switch then you have remote on the fan unit and do that fan unit still have pull chain there ??

It may possiblity that the one of the netural is swapped on the remote { it possible and it can do happend but very rare }

If you have other switches in that box if so let us know.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Is this fan also controlled from another location? If not please describe the dimmer. It sounds more like a light/fan controller rather than a simple dimmer.
It has a vertical slider and a sideways switch at the bottom just below the slider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
If I am reading this right with colour codes are you in Chicago ?

If so The black is power feed while yellow typically used for switch leg but some case you may see yellow and red that can be used for shuttle { traveller } do you have second switch in that room ?

Second thing senice you have dimmer that was used to be there and change to standard switch then you have remote on the fan unit and do that fan unit still have pull chain there ??

It may possiblity that the one of the netural is swapped on the remote { it possible and it can do happend but very rare }

If you have other switches in that box if so let us know.

Merci.
Marc
No in suburb of Las Vegas. There is no second switch just the one on the wall. I haven't changed the switch yet..the dimmer is still hooked up since I am not sure which wires to hook up to the new switch. There is a pull chain for light and one for fan. I tried pulling them and they turn the light and fan off but the fan one doesn't seem to be changing the speed..possibly since the fan is going so slow it is hard to see any change.

Here are pix of the dimmer..sorry for quality used camera on cellphone...

Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Regarding the existing switch, does the lower rocker portion simply cut or apply power, and the slider portion simply dim or brighten? I agree that the colored wires from the existing switch make me suspect it is either a three-way variety, or a dual switch (able to separately control two devices, such a light and a fan).

One piece of the puzzle I don't see is the colors and quantities of the wires in the ceiling box. Were they white, red, and black? Only white and black? To what wires on the new ceiling fan did you connect them?
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,550

Based on the wires connected that is either a three way dimmer with master switch or a dimmer / switch combo device. Are there any manufacturer names and numbers on it?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
Regarding the existing switch, does the lower rocker portion simply cut or apply power, and the slider portion simply dim or brighten? I agree that the colored wires from the existing switch make me suspect it is either a three-way variety, or a dual switch (able to separately control two devices, such a light and a fan).

One piece of the puzzle I don't see is the colors and quantities of the wires in the ceiling box. Were they white, red, and black? Only white and black? To what wires on the new ceiling fan did you connect them?

The slider turned the light off and on and dimmed the lights, I didn't see the rocker switch do much of anything. The wires coming out of the ceiling box are black and white with the red capped off.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Based on the wires connected that is either a three way dimmer with master switch or a dimmer / switch combo device. Are there any manufacturer names and numbers on it?

Lutron SFLQ-SF

http://www.prolighting.com/lusfsksl3sip1.html
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #9

Cool

ROFLMAO... Well guess what... After I read about the switch, it apparently is a light and fan controller so I had two controllers hooked the the fan and it just didn't like that. I removed the other controller that came with the fan, hooked up the red wire that was capped off to the blue light wire and the black to black and white to white and it works perfectly...and the sliding switch runs the fan, faster and slower, and the little switch at the bottom runs the lights so all is well...

Since the slider dimmed the original ceiling light, I thought it was just a dimmer switch and according to everything I have read, you do NOT use a dimmer switch with a ceiling fan because it will over heat and fry the fan or something like that....

Well thanks for your help... I guess I should have looked at the stuff on the switch first but as I said I just thought it was a fancy dinner switch..

Advertisement