DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Changing 70W HPS bulbs (

ritch007 07-18-2012 01:21 PM

Changing 70W HPS bulbs
Hi all,

I need to replace a 70W high-pressure sodium bulb in a outdoor wallpack unit.

The photocell has been bypassed with tape. I just can't find the circuit breaker switch! They aren't labeled properly...

Someone told me that I could get a nasty shock cause the unit produces high voltage at startup. Is there any real shock hazard?


Speedy Petey 07-18-2012 01:25 PM

Ab-so-freakin-loutely there is a risk of shock!

What do you mean you can't find the breaker?? Put a tester on the incoming line and turn off each breaker until you find it.

ritch007 07-18-2012 01:28 PM

Unfortunately I can't mess with these breakers. Some critical equipment runs.

But thanks for the advice. I won't touch this -or any- live HPS bulb.

ritch007 07-18-2012 01:34 PM

Another question... if I turn off the breaker for a 70W HPS wallpack, for how long will there be any residual current in the components (e.g igniter, ballast, capacitor)?


Speedy Petey 07-18-2012 01:44 PM

I'm not exactly sure, but in all my years and many hundreds of HID light repair/installs I have never gotten a shock from a de-energized fixture.

andrew79 07-18-2012 08:30 PM

judging from what you've said this isn't a light located at home. Regardless of the output voltage at startup there's a good chance that's a 277v light and that's more than enough voltage to do alot of damage right there.. the igniter may toss out around a 2500v pulse on startup to get things moving.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1