DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Changing 220V to 110V (hardwired) for an electric to gas cooktop switch.

12K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
I am changing over my kitchen island cooktop from electric to gas. The electric cooktop is hardwired (in a junction box) 220V. If I change out the circuit breaker (from 220V to 110V) in the fuze box, is there any reason why I would need to change the wiring from 10 guage to 12 guage?

#4 ·
And make a note inside of the breaker box that you change the breaker size down to 20 amp so in case someone else not thinking and install the 30 amp breaker by mistake.

Merci.
Marc

#5 ·
Does your current 220 have a ground? If not, I'm not sure if it's code acceptable to re-color the red as white. Seems safe though.
If it were me (and everything is accessable) I'd run a different 120v plug so you could in therory swap out a gas stove for electric and visa versa without any mods.
Ability to do gas or electric appliances helps resale of house.

#6 · (Edited)
It is not proper to put a different kind of plug on an appliance so you can continue use of the 240 volt receptacle in your 240 to 120 volt converted circuit.

All appliances have a maximum circuit rating even though the maximum current draw during usage is much less. The kind of plug "sorta" enforces this, for example a typical 2 prong plug is for 20 amp (or 15 amp) protected circuits.

You could pigtail a short 12 gauge wire at the panel end of this 10 gauge cable as an additional reminder not to use a 30 amp breaker.

#13 · (Edited)
Put a stove receptacle in and use one of these. It is fused at 15 amps, so perfectly safe.]
(picture above not requoted here)

Ah, a lot easier than building the portable subpanel myself piece by piece to plug into the existing stove receptacle.

Note that both of the gizmos mentioned higher up also require a stove circuit with a neutral.

#14 ·
I like the idea of either running a seperate 15 or 20 amp outlet and keeping existing plug, or that converter. As long as it's fused, and CSA approved that should be safe.

It's kinda like the outlets on an electric stove, they most likely have a 15 amp fuse inside the stove. At least I hope so.

#15 ·
Not with modern stoves I have ran into in both USA and French side I don't even see a fuse in there at all I know very old stove do have them for accesory recpetale but not with newer stove they got rid of that for safety issue.

Merci.
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.