Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Share |

Changing 2 prong to 3 prong outlet

I want to change my 2 prong outlet to a 3 prong outlet. I opened it up and I have 4 wires - 2 white and 2 black. How do I do this?

virgodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

You would need to install GFI protection before you make this change. Even then some appliances are required to be used on grounded circuits only.

Can you supply more info about what you are trying to do?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

You have to either run an equipment ground from panel to all the receptacles, or put a GFCI receptacle in as the first receptacle on the run and mark all receptacles with No equipment ground. Stickers should come with your GFCI receptacle!
Sfeyelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

If the box the plug is in is metal you could also add in a pig tail line that would screw into the box and ground the outlet to the box. You would also have to mark the outlet with a sticker saying it has a false ground. Another option may be to replace the breaker in the panel with a GFI breaker for the circuit.
MBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBatson View Post
If the box the plug is in is metal you could also add in a pig tail line that would screw into the box and ground the outlet to the box. You would also have to mark the outlet with a sticker saying it has a false ground. Another option may be to replace the breaker in the panel with a GFI breaker for the circuit.
Unless the wiring method that was used qualifies as a grounding means you absolutely cannot just run a jumper to the metal box. This would still be a floating ground.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

what rooms are you trying to change the plugs in?
there arent many appliances used in a living room or bedrooms requiring a grounded plug.
if you go with a gfci plug find the first plug in circuit,run the power to line side of gfi then feed the other black and white wires from load side of gfi.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #7

I have a similar situation.

Bro-in-law has flat screen he is wanting to run off an ungrounded rec.

Will the gfci work for the tv and other electronic devices?

He had run a fax off this circuit fro a while with no problems that I know of.

This a 2 rec gang. 3 conductor cable (romex #12/2 w grnd). The grnd is not connected at the tie in. Wondering about this, I did a search here and other places and realize a gfci can be used for the first rec with proper markings as to the grounding.

Actually, I didn't realize a gfci would even work without a ground. I think I was confused as I was thinking the gfci sensed slight differentials in the ground. I now understand the difference in volage must be between neutral and hot leg. Right?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #8

If he doesn't get the circuit grounded, then he needs to at least get a very nice surge protector that does not depend on shunting surges to ground. I had a cheap surge strip start smoldering on me when it took a surge on a receptacle that I didn't realize wasn't grounded. TVs-- and houses-- are too expensive to risk.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Unless the wiring method that was used qualifies as a grounding means you absolutely cannot just run a jumper to the metal box. This would still be a floating ground.
Actually, it would be NO ground. And, with the GFI's, you can feed through to non-grounding receps, but must be labeled "no equipment ground" AND "GFCI protected". And no equipment grounding conductor can be connected between the grounding type receps.

Last edited by joebanana; 02-15-2011 at 05:37 AM.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
If he doesn't get the circuit grounded, then he needs to at least get a very nice surge protector that does not depend on shunting surges to ground. I had a cheap surge strip start smoldering on me when it took a surge on a receptacle that I didn't realize wasn't grounded. TVs-- and houses-- are too expensive to risk.
He does have an expensive looking protector, not sure if it works by shunting surges to ground.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote