Changed Outlets...Lights Stay On... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Changed Outlets...Lights stay on...

So i was changing out all of my almond colored outlets and switches for white because we have repainted. When I got done changing 4 outlets and 4 switches, the outlets are now all always on and the 2 switches that controlled the bottom outlets now do nothing.

There are 4 sets of plugs around the room, the bottom outlets have always been on a switch. There's a single 3-way switch on one side of the room for them then there's another 3-way switch on the other side of the room that is also for the outlets but that is also next to two other switches, one 3-way and one not.

The order of them are as follows:

3-way Outlets | 3-way Light at top of stairs | Outside front door light.

It seemed to me that I could potentially reversed something when I replaced both of those three ways but I don't think I did. I did each switch one at a time so as to not cross wires around.

Can anyone tell me if it's likely a switch or an outlet that might be causing it?

Thanks!

Advertisement

agentphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

Look at the old recepticles you took out. Between the screws the small tab between the gold screws was removed to make one side a switched outlet. You will need to do the same on the recepticles you installed.

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

That would possibly be it...I didn't take anything off the outlets as I replaced them

HOWEVER, the one outlet I didn't replace because it's behind a huge piece of furniture I will need help moving also has a lamp plugged into it and it doesn't turn on and off with the switch as it used to either, so that outlet wasn't touched.

Does that mean its a switch or does that mean the other outlets that were replaced are just completing a circuit so it won't respond to the switch?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,486

Jumper on one of the new receptacles is also turning on the unchanged one. The same wire runs between all the switched receptacles. If one jumper is left on ALL the switched receptacles will be on.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the help here. I fixed the issue today. Got all the outlets back out and cut the tab.

Nice novice mistake I made, then again I am a novice.