we will need more info to help you. new posters seem to think they have to use as few words as possible so we can decyipher it
anyway, if i understand your post correctly:
1. the receptacle is controlled by a switch and has only one cable going to it
2. the switch box has 3 cables in it - presumably power in, power out to the receptacle, and one other power leg -- probably feeding downstream outlets -- do you know which cable is which?
3. i assume there is no overhead light now?
in short, if this is correct,
1. you will cut a hole in the ceiling and add a fan rated box
2. you will fish 14-3 from the ceiling box to the switch box - you may have to put in a larger swith box with all the stuff going into it (this 14-3 allows you to control the fan and light separately now or in the future)
3. you will have to decide whether you want one switch to control light and fan or one to control each
4. we can walk you through wiring at the switch box
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinp22 For This Useful Post: