Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Share |

chain stuck on overhead hanging fluorescent light.

How do I unstick the chain on my fluorescent lighting fixture. I have this light hanging over my washer and dryer.

KatieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

My instinct is that you will have to replace the switch on the fixture. I believe these to be readily available at the normal places and that this to be a pretty easy job. If I recall correctly, the switch is simply installed through a hole in the fixture housing, held by a nut over the threaded body. I expect that you will find two wires at the switch. Install them to duplicate the original wiring.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

OK, I took the fixture down (figured if couldn't fix it would need to replace it and would be easier to work on while down). I unscrewed the brass colored screw. The post it was screwed on is like a clear plastic. When I wiggle it, I can see it move with my movements through the slots in the black box that it is in. I am stymied at this point. Do I just go buy a new fixture?
Old 10-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #4

If you remove the flourescent tubes you should have a few small screws that hold on the cover or reflector. Removing this reflector will give you access to the switch. It probably has a black wire going into it and one going out. ***UNPLUG*** light fixture and try to remove these wires ( you may need to cut them as close to the switch as possible. ) Take the switch to a hardware store and see if they have a replacement.
brosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #5

Well, I took/tore the thing apart ..... no screws to undo. They didn't mean for this thing to be repaired. I think next stop is hardware for new light fixture. Thanks for your suggestions.