I had a contractor install recessed lights (CFLs) in our living room
and noticed a couple of things, which concerns me. The CFL bulbs used are plug-in type with 4 pins, 26w ones. IC-rated casings for CFLs where used since we have insulation in the attic (Halo H272RICAT)
(1) I noticed that when I plugged in a bulb, the bulb flashed (turned on and then off really quickly) even with the switch off. I actually noticed this a few times with different sockets. Is this normal or does this indicate some bad wiring
(2) This evening, one of the lights suddenly went off. I was suspecting the bulb was burnt out (it was a brand new one though) and tried it into another socket, but it was actually working okay. So I plugged it back in and turned on/off a couple of times, but each time it went off after being on for a short amount of time.
Then I realized that the casing has some thermal protection and thought it might have been overheated (although I didn't turn it on for a long time). So I waited a little and tried again. This time it went off again immediately and I actually heard some noise, so I checked the bulb and found that it got cracked.
So I removed the bulb and put another one in there and it is working okay till now.
Should I worry? Is it not rare that a CFL bulb gets cracked when turned on? Also, can it be overheated easily to have thermal protection to kick in? Or some bad wiring can cause overheating as well?
I am not sure if it was due to some shady work by the contractor or I am overreacting over something that is normal and expected for CFLs. I'm a novice in this area, so any help would be appreciated. Both incidents concern me greatly.