Central Vacuum - How Does The Low Voltage Wire Go Into The Low Voltage Receptacle? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Central vacuum - how does the low voltage wire go into the low voltage receptacle?

I'm installing a central vacuum, and I'm down to the wire, literally. This is likely a dumb question, but how does the 24 volt wire go into the receptacle?

Advertisement

ILIFFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Central vacuum - how does the low voltage wire go into the low voltage receptacle?

I can't quite recall, but think I remember it being just two screws on the outside of it, when I changed an outlet for my system. So you connect the wires first, then slide the outlet the hole and screw it back in.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

Thw wiring looks like 2 conductor doorbell wire and is run along with the tubing.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most low voltage (24 volts ) will have connections on the tube itself due it will have concat point to send the power signal to turn on or off the central vac unit however becarefull some case the point locations some will have 120 volt aux recetpale then you have to get that to nearest 120 volt receptale or run it own circuit depending on where it located.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

The wiring is two conductor and is reversable 24 volt in most cases. 120v is not for the vac itself. The wires tuck under a spring loaded screw terminal on the INLET.
Do not remove the screw as you could lose the spring or the terminal pin below it. Wrap your wire at least .75 turn, clockwise around the screw, if your lines are run with 4 color phone wire, I pair them up but if doing so be sure all terminal points are paired the same color throughout the house.
Wen you get to the vac itself , leave an extra 3 feet of wire and coil around a pencil or screwdriver to make a spring ala telephone cord style. This will give you some slack at the wall in case anything hits you wire and you will look like a pro!
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote