Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Central Vac Wiring

I just bought a central vac unit that says don't use less than 14-3 wiring. My house was already piped and wired for central vac. Coming out of the wall I have two white wires. Inside each wire is only two small wires (red and green). The instructions say to just hook the low voltage wires into the connectors on the power unit. The connectors look like a stereo wire connection where you pull down and put the wire in. I'm first unclear on how to hook the 14-3 wire to the two (red and green) wires. Then I'm unclear on how to hook up the two sets of 14-3 wire into the connectors on the power unit. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks,
Brian

bdrever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #2

Central Vac Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrever
I just bought a central vac unit that says don't use less than 14-3 wiring. My house was already piped and wired for central vac. Coming out of the wall I have two white wires. Inside each wire is only two small wires (red and green). The instructions say to just hook the low voltage wires into the connectors on the power unit. The connectors look like a stereo wire connection where you pull down and put the wire in. I'm first unclear on how to hook the 14-3 wire to the two (red and green) wires. Then I'm unclear on how to hook up the two sets of 14-3 wire into the connectors on the power unit. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks,
Brian
If your suggesting connecting line voltage to low voltage, maybe time for an electrician?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Central Vac Wiring

Post the manufacturer and model # of your equipment.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Central Vac Wiring

Are you sure the house wiring for the vacuum unit is complete? Looks like you have the wires (red and green) going upstairs for remote control on off buttons but not for the AC power. Fortunately for a vacuum unit in the basement it is usually easy to run the 14/3 power cable to the breaker panel. The 14-3 cable goes to an enclosed box on or area inside the vacuum unit where there are similarly sized black, white, and red wires to match what is inside the cable. The bare wire of the cable is attached to the frame of the vacuum unit using a green screw provided, or to a bare or green wire accompanying the black and white wires.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Central Vac Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Are you sure the house wiring for the vacuum unit is complete? Looks like you have the wires (red and green) going upstairs for remote control on off buttons but not for the AC power. Fortunately for a vacuum unit in the basement it is usually easy to run the 14/3 power cable to the breaker panel. The 14-3 cable goes to an enclosed box on or area inside the vacuum unit where there are similarly sized black, white, and red wires to match what is inside the cable. The bare wire of the cable is attached to the frame of the vacuum unit using a green screw provided, or to a bare or green wire accompanying the black and white wires.
And you know this how?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Central Vac Wiring

Sounds like the small wires are your switch wires. Hook these up according to the destructions.

Does the central unit not have a power cord attached?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

Central Vac Wiring

Is there a receptacle anywhere near those "two white wires"? I'm in agreement with the others that those red and green wires are low voltage, and the vac unit was the type that merely plugs in....no power cord on the vac?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Central Vac Wiring

Thanks everyone! Yeah the unit has a power cord that is plugged into a 20 amp outlet. That part I was good with. It was the two wires near the pipe outlet that I needed to hook up to the low voltage connectors for the switch. They didnt stretch so I had to run some 14 guage wire to connect them. What I did was paired the two reds together and the two greens together. Then attached them to two 14 guage wires which plugged into the low voltage connectors. Worked like a charm. Thanks all for the help.
Brian

bdrever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
central vac, wiring problem