Ceiling Wiring Malfunction? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Wiring Malfunction?

I searched the other threads and they don't seem to be exactly what I have going on here. Here's the scenario.

I had an upstairs bedroom without light, I am installing a ceiling fan with light combination using an approved ceiling fan bracket. I have 12/2 wiring from the outlet to the switch, and 12/3 wiring from the switch to the fan. My fan wire colors are black, white, blue and green for ground. My 12/3 is a standard set up of black, white, red, bare and the 12/2 is black, white, bare. From the 12/3 to the fan I have black on black, white on white, red on blue, and grounds together. Connecting into the switch I am confused. I tried the blacks and the red tied together as hots, and I wasn't getting any power, then when I tried to pull the switch out to take a look at the wiring I got a nice arc flash (stupid me, didn't shut down the breaker and verify it was shut down) and I managed to fuse the wires together in the wire nut, so I'm guessing that isn't the correct solution.

How should the wires be connected at the switch? I can use a single pole switch correct? I don't need a three way or anything like that right?

Advertisement

wikkie650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

in the cable coming from the fan, the red and the black each go to one terminal on their own switch. The other terminal of both switches will be connected to the incoming hot wire. All the whites will be connected and all the bare or green will be connected.

at the fan, the white to white, bare or green to bare or green, black to black and blue to red (those last two can be switched either way if you don't like the color combinations)

yes, 2 single pole switches.

Now, if you only have a single gang box, you will have a bit more of a problem. At the fan, the balck (I think) is for the light and the blue for the fan (I think) and each need to be on their own switch to be able to operate them independently of each other.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I currently have a single pole switch and a single gang box. If necessary, I can rip that out and replace it with another new work box, as the wall is open right now.

Can the pull chains be used in lieu of switches? This is the first fan that I've had to install and starting from scratch I figured it would be easier. Thank you all for your continued assistance.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

You can use the pull chains if you want but if you are going to do that, why have switches?

Since it appears things are where it would be simple to add a 2 gang box for switches, that is what I would do.

There is also a controller that will work with things as it but still be able to control the fan and the light separately. It uses a built in wireless controller for the fan and hardired for the light.

If it were me, I would just do the 2 gang box.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #5

Sounds like a plan. This fan is going in my guest bedroom so I figured that having someone throw a switch instead of fighting with pull chains would be easier for them and result in less questions for me. I will pull the existing box and replace it tomorrow. If I run into anything else, I'll be sure to ask.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikkie650 View Post
Sounds like a plan. This fan is going in my guest bedroom so I figured that having someone throw a switch instead of fighting with pull chains would be easier for them and result in less questions for me. I will pull the existing box and replace it tomorrow. If I run into anything else, I'll be sure to ask.
I'll probably be here. If not, there are a lot of other guys that are good at electrical work.

Advertisement