Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling rose to pot lights

I live in the downstairs half of a house. I'm going to reno the 20'x13' living room, I'm pulling down the old crappy stucco ceiling and want to install either 6 or 8 pot lights in the new flat ceiling.
I currently have a 3 way set up with 2 ceiling lights and two switches on either end of the room, both the lights come on and off together.
With the ceiling down i can easily place boxes and re-wire for these lights, I don't know where the feed comes in at the moment. I am also thinking about putting insulation and IC boxes in.
How can i test if i can put this many pot-lights on this one circuit, as far as i know there is nothing else on this circuit. Can i just link all the lights together in a line or will that not work?
I have worked in construction for nearly ten years now so am not clueless but have only done basic electrical work-sockets,lights,plugs etc..
Can i take this on myself or am i best to get an electrician in.
I'm doing this in BC.

gee398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

Your best bet is to turn the breaker off to you room and see what does not work. 99% of the time there would be more than just the 2 lights on the circuit. Let us know from there what you have on that circuit and we can go further into detail.

It does not matter what feed your lights come from because in most cases the wire going to the first light will be long enough to go to your first pot light and then wire the rest from there.

macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

Canada does have a limit on how many lights/fixtures/outlets that can be on one circuit
I think its 12...but not sure
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #4

Flicked a few breakers and yup just the two lights on the circuit. I'll be putting a max of 8 pot lights so should be fine if the code states 12.

Is it possible to put dimmers on both switches? And if so how does that work if you dim with one switch do you have to light back up with that switch?
gee398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

the actual count is much less important (to functionality, not code) than the total wattage. I can show you multi thousand watt fixtures and I can show you fractional watt fixtures. Which you chose to put on the circuit will be the greatest determining factor as to how many you can install on a circuit.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee398 View Post

Is it possible to put dimmers on both switches? And if so how does that work if you dim with one switch do you have to light back up with that switch?
Kind of new to me but there are apparently multi point dimmers available. Frenchelectrician (another poster here) linked one awhile back for a poster asking a similar question. I do not remember the brand to look them up. Maybe Dave remembers or Marc (frenchelectrician) will catch this and recall them.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Lutron makes a master/slave dimming system for use at both switches.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

Are you sure you didn't shut anything off in the other 1/2 of the house ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Thanks Nap.

Now to the OP there are two brand I useally deal for multi location dimmer which you will have master and slave unit { the slave you can go many as 10 if you want to }

But to order to use this set up you have to follow the wiring connection very carefull to get function correct.

I know the master and one slave unit useally run about 50 to 70 Euros for both units together { you can not get one slave itself it will not function at all so you need both }{ addtional slave units useally about 30 Euros or so }

One brand is Lutron they are pretty close to top of the line and I don't useally have any quirk with them.

Second choice I used is Pass and Seymour they are pretty good and just about right for resdentail useage.

Nice thing about them is you can have full functing dimmer at BOTH location and turn them on and off.

If you want it let me know then I will post the proper link for it.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote