Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #1

Share |
Question

ceiling light power loss

when fitting a new ceiling light in our living room and turning it on at the wall(dimmer switch)it tripped the circuit breaker,since then i cant get it to work at all?it works if you put wires straight to live and neutral but not to the wire that controls the switch.if i try an electrical tester there is power there untill i introduce the wire from the light fitting then it seems to lose it,take the light live wire out and power is back to ceiling rose.can anybody help please.

pejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

ceiling light power loss

Tell us what wires were connected to the light, and how many wires are in the ceiling box.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Electrician

ceiling light power loss

I'm sorry pejay, but it's kinda hard to follow the way you are describing it. One guess is the wiring may be wrong at the light somehow, since you are saying that you replaced the light. I'd also be curious about the dimmer switch...you said it tripped the breaker when you turned it on...might have fried it. All in all, we need more info...as jb has asked for.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #4

ceiling light power loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
I'm sorry pejay, but it's kinda hard to follow the way you are describing it. One guess is the wiring may be wrong at the light somehow, since you are saying that you replaced the light. I'd also be curious about the dimmer switch...you said it tripped the breaker when you turned it on...might have fried it. All in all, we need more info...as jb has asked for.
there are 5 wires in the ceiling hub,2 red 2 black and i earth.1 red and 1 black in either side of hub.black and red in 'live' side are both live,surely just the red should be live?earth goes to earth obviously.
thanks again.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #5

Thumbs up

ceiling light power loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejay View Post
there are 5 wires in the ceiling hub,2 red 2 black and i earth.1 red and 1 black in either side of hub.black and red in 'live' side are both live,surely just the red should be live?earth goes to earth obviously.
thanks again.
all sorted now.it was the dimmer switch had fried,thanks for your help.