Ceiling Light Fixture Yellow Material - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ceiling Light Fixture Yellow Material

Last night I replaced a simple light fixture in my closet. It's just a glass dome with a pull switch. The new fixture (Boston Harbor) had this yellow material inside the canopy....like insulation or something. The instructions didn't mention anything about it and I left it in the fixture when I mounted it. I hope this was correct.

My real question is about what that material was. The stuff was very uncomfortable when I got it on my hands and now I can't seem to get it off, no matter how much I wash my hands. My skin is extra dry and it hurts. Was that material fiberglass? Or something I might have had an allergic reaction to?

Thanks for your hep!!!

Advertisement

df002f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by df002f View Post
Last night I replaced a simple light fixture in my closet. It's just a glass dome with a pull switch. The new fixture (Boston Harbor) had this yellow material inside the canopy....like insulation or something. The instructions didn't mention anything about it and I left it in the fixture when I mounted it. I hope this was correct.

My real question is about what that material was. The stuff was very uncomfortable when I got it on my hands and now I can't seem to get it off, no matter how much I wash my hands. My skin is extra dry and it hurts. Was that material fiberglass? Or something I might have had an allergic reaction to?

Thanks for your hep!!!

It's fiberglass insulation to help reduce airflow between the room and the junction box. You've probably picked up some in your hands/fingers... wash them thoroughly in cold/lukewarm water and give them some time. If you encounter this material again, wear some gloves.

Advertisement

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are referring to the material in the part that mounts over the electrical box on the ceiling, it is fiberglass insulation. Should wash off best with cold water.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

was it basically a soft material? If so, then yes, it was simply fiberglass. If it was fiberglass, you now simply have a bunch of little glass slivers in your hands. Make sure you have washed your hands. It does no good to really scrub though. You might try taking some duct tape and sticking it on your hands and then pulling it off/ That sometimes takes some of the glass away. Other than that, just use a lotion to keep your skin soft and supple. The dryness adds to the itching.

then, time is the only thing that helps.

Oh, and avoid rubbing your eyes for awhile. The slivers can be transferred sometimes and are especially irritating to your eyelids and eyeballs.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling , hands , insulation , light , yellow