Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling light fixture wiring

This should be a simple DIY project, but I have to admit I've failed.

I am replacing a light fixture in my bathroom. I turned off the breaker and went to work.

I removed the old fixture, which had two wires connected. It was not connected to a ground wire, but there is a copper wire in the fixture (which was unconnected to anything except a screw in the housing).

So then I connected the green ground of the new fixture with the copper wire I mentioned above. The fixture has two bulbs, so I connected two black wires from the fixture with the black wire coming out of the housing. I did the same with the two white wires from the fixture, connecting them to the white wire in the housing.

After putting in bulbs and securing the fixture to the ceiling I went to flick the breaker back on. The result is there is no power to anything in the bathroom any more. The new fixture doesn't work, the vanity lights which worked before no longer work, the bathroom fan doesn't work, and the outlet is dead as well.

What would cause this?

If I screwed up the wiring to the new fixture, would the result be that nothing on that breaker would work anymore?

I have disconnected and reconnected all the wires multiple times to the point of exhaustion. I did find it difficult to use the supplied wire nuts since I had to connect a thick copper wire with two other wires in a single nut. I did tug on all wires to make sure they were connected well, though.

Needless to say I'm extremely frustrated and hoping someone here can give me an idea on what went wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited by eveready; 03-10-2013 at 01:31 AM.
eveready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

Check to see if the GFCI outlet tripped.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. Yes that's what it was.

Last edited by eveready; 03-10-2013 at 11:17 AM.
eveready is offline   Reply With Quote