Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Light

I just took down the old ceiling fan and light fixture. I'm replacing with a light fixture only no fan. I wired according to direction White wire on the light to 2 white wires in the box and black wire on the light to the 2 black and 1 red in the box. Problem is that I can not control the light from the switch as the light can not be turned on or off from the switch. The switch is a single pole switch that has 2 black wires connected together and 1 red wire connected there is 2 white wires in the box but they are capped with a marr connector. Any ideas what is wrong?

blue collar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Ceiling Light

Is there another switch?
You have the light connected to an unswitched hot.
How was the fan wired?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Ceiling Light

In the ceiling box connect the black from the fixture to the red wire. Connect the 2 blacks together but not to the fixture.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Ceiling Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
In the ceiling box connect the black from the fixture to the red wire. Connect the 2 blacks together but not to the fixture.
That worked I have switch control back. Should I be concerned about the 2 back wires connected together at the switch? Is this a safety concern? It has been that way for years.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Ceiling Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post
That worked I have switch control back. Should I be concerned about the 2 back wires connected together at the switch? Is this a safety concern? It has been that way for years.

Depends how they are connected, if there are 2 wires under one screw, that is a problem. Show us a picture and we can help.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

Ceiling Light

Quote:
Depends how they are connected, if there are 2 wires under one screw, that is a problem. Show us a picture and we can help.
It is a 2 pole switch the 2 black are connected together under 1 screw at the bottom the single red connected under the top screw the 2 white are not used they joined together with a marr connector in the back of the outlet out of the way. Can I cap 1 of the black wires with a marr connector and use only 1 or the other black wire?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Ceiling Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post
It is a 2 pole switch the 2 black are connected together under 1 screw at the bottom the single red connected under the top screw the 2 white are not used they joined together with a marr connector in the back of the outlet out of the way. Can I cap 1 of the black wires with a marr connector and use only 1 or the other black wire?
No you need both black wires connected (it is feeding thru to another receptacle or switch.

Get a 6" piece of black wire of the same gauge (#12 or #14), if you are nor sure which,use #12. Connect the 2 black wires with the 6" piece with a wire nut (marrette (sic ?)), and connect that to the screw terminal on the switch. This is called using a pig-tail.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #8

Ceiling Light

Quote:
No you need both black wires connected (it is feeding thru to another receptacle or switch.

Get a 6" piece of black wire of the same gauge (#12 or #14), if you are nor sure which,use #12. Connect the 2 black wires with the 6" piece with a wire nut (marrette (sic ?)), and connect that to the screw terminal on the switch. This is called using a pig-tail.
Understand thanks for the help my friend.