Ceiling Fixture Red Wire????? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling fixture red wire?????

I took down a big light in my daughters room. One you would see in a kitchen. When I was taking it down I did not pay attention to where the red wire was attached to the previsous fixture.

On the new fixture (small, one bulb fixture) I put the black to black, white to white and the red wire is being a booger. I put the red with the white wires and the fixture would turn on, but if I turned the light switch off, the light would not turn back on and my breaker would go off.

If I put the red wire with the black wires the light would work but the light switch would not turn the light off.

If I don't put the red wire with anything, the light switch will not turn the light off.

Help!!!! Anyone know what I should do? Don't want to burn my house down.

Thanks!!

Michelle

Advertisement

meshell06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Try the red wire to the black of the fixture, the white to white, and cap off the black. What you have would be typical of wiring for a ceiling fan with the fan controlled by the pull chain and the light by the switch.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Put a wire nut on the black wire, wire black to red, white to white, ground to green or bare and you should be good.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to do.

Thank you so much for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Try the red wire to the black of the fixture, the white to white, and cap off the black. What you have would be typical of wiring for a ceiling fan with the fan controlled by the pull chain and the light by the switch.
meshell06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshell06 View Post

I took down a big light in my daughters room. One you would see in a kitchen. When I was taking it down I did not pay attention to where the red wire was attached to the previsous fixture.

On the new fixture (small, one bulb fixture) I put the black to black, white to white and the red wire is being a booger. I put the red with the white wires and the fixture would turn on, but if I turned the light switch off, the light would not turn back on and my breaker would go off.

If I put the red wire with the black wires the light would work but the light switch would not turn the light off.

If I don't put the red wire with anything, the light switch will not turn the light off.

Help!!!! Anyone know what I should do? Don't want to burn my house down.

Thanks!!

Michelle

Reason why they did that is because they gave you the option to install a ceiling fan in the room.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote