Ceiling Fixture Is Leaking? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fixture is leaking?

I'm a first time home owner, and am trying to replace my dining room ceiling fan with a chandelier light. After removing the fan from the ceiling I noticed beeds of water on the wiring. Now, it is very cold here, around 15 F. Is this normal? Is it just condensation? I crawled up into the attic with a couple of flashlights and I didn't see anything leaking from the roof. Though I couldn't get all the way over to the dining area for lack of plywood to crawl on. It looks as though there are several conduit pipes (3) entering the ceiling from the attic where the fan box is. What should I do?

Thanks

Advertisement

fbk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

It's probably condensation. Has the temp risen lately. Condensation can form when the temperature goes from one extreme to the other, or the heat from the fan and chandelier is causing the warm air to mix with cold air above. Metal conduits are very susceptible to condensation due to their metal surface. Try placing another piece of insulation over the box that supports the fan and light. If you still have the box open you can chaulk the holes and small openings. You can insulate the conduits if that is where the moisture is comming from.
Check to see if you have your ceiling vented, and you have enough ceiling insulation. Try and find where the moisture is originating and get it corrected.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

JV is on the money. Differences in temperature (especially large differences) will create condensation. I'm guessing that your attic is unheated, and as a consequence, when the heated air of your home meets cold air in pipe, well you know. Again, JV is right. Try to insulate the box as best you can. You'll never eliminate the problem, just mitigate it.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Well, I laid down more plywood so I could actually get above the dining room and I saw no leak of any kind coming through the roof. I did however notice that a large chunk of insulation over the corner of the fan box was missing, and there was a black mesh fabric underneath that was torn. Does anyone know what this mesh is, and do I need to replace it? Is there any special way I need to install the insulation? Or do I just cut a piece and put it in the empty spot?

Thanks
fbk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,550

The was probably there to hold the blown in insulation before the drywall was installed. It was probably pushed aside to install a box rated for fan weight. The insulation was probably not push back ofter the work.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote