Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fans with dimmers and CFL's?

I just installed some new Emerson ceiling fans. My plan was to install dimmers on the lights and speed controllers on the fan switches. I've done this before on other fans purchased from Lowe's.

However, the fans came with CFL bulbs and the sockets on the fan say to use only 13 watt SB-CLF bulbs. Does this mean that I definitely can't use standard 60-watt bulbs and put dimmers on them, or just to only use 13-watt bulbs if I use CFL's? The instructions don't specify anything about the bulbs.

If I can't do it, does anyone recommend dimmable CFL's? I've never heard good things about them.

Thanks for the help!

cjcpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

If says to only use that type then only use that type. The lamp holder is not rated for the heat generated by incandescent bulbs.
Some CFLs are rated to be dimmed. Only that type can be dimmed.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #3

Thanks Joe. That's what I figured. I always hear complaints about dimmable CFL's. Has anyone had a good experience with them? Plus, they're incredibly expensive.
cjcpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcpoker View Post
Thanks Joe. That's what I figured. I always hear complaints about dimmable CFL's. Has anyone had a good experience with them? Plus, they're incredibly expensive.
I bought a set of dimmable CFL's for my dining room light fixture. They were really expensive, and don't really dim that well. They hum when I try to dim them too. Maybe I need a better dimmer switch. I've tried a couple different versions, but I couldn't find any designed for CFL's.

I've never tried using a dimmer for ceiling fan lighting, but I did also have an issue with CFL's on my ceiling fan, even though it had a standard switch. I installed 2 candelabra CFL's into the fan, and even without a dimmer switch, they flickered. Then, I tried installing 1 CFL and 1 incandescent and it works fine. Odd. maybe it has to do with the resistance in the circuit or something.

As far as installing a dimmer switch for your ceiling fan, it can be done, but you'll need dimmable CFL's. Does your fan take standard socket bulbs? Or does it take Candelabra bulbs? Here's a link to a dimmable candelabra CFL. http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com...cent-bulb.aspx

another option is to use LED bulbs. Just make sure that you find one that has the same amount of lumens (about 150-200) as a standard 20W candelabra bulb. There are tons of decorative LED bulbs that only have like 20 lumens, and they are barely enough to light up a night light.

Here's a link to a bunch of different types of LED bulbs. Surely, you can find some that work.

http://www.theledlight.com/led-light-bulbs.html

Homer
homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #5

Why not just buy the remote control they make for ceiling fans, the remote is hidden under the canopy. They include speed controls and dimmer controls. I just installed a fan that came with CFL's non dimmer, the remote installation said I can change the CFL's to incandescents and with a change of a switch in the remote they can be full power or dimmed. About $45.00
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote