Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan works, but Light does not.

The drop has 6 wires. They go the following:
1. Yellow to connector to 2 more yellows that go to Reverse Switch.
2. Pink to connector to 2 oranges that go to Reverse Switch.
3. Red that goes to to connector to Capacitor.
4. Black that goes to connector to Fan Speed Switch.
5&6. White and gray go to connector, then gray to Reverse Switch and white to Light.
Two gray wires come from Capacitor, one to Fan Speed Switch, and the other to a connector with a white continuing on to Reverse Switch.
Two wires from the capacitor (brown and purple) go to Fan Speed Switch.
A blue wire from the light was broken at some unknown point. The Fan and the Light have separate wall switches. I cannot find the hot wire for the light, that I should connect to the blue wire. I have an AC detector and a volt meter. I get no current anywhere with the Light wall switch on. I have installed and repaired ceiling fans before with no hassles. However, I am not an expert (obviously). But, I am completely lost on this one. Help!

Catawba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

Verifiy that the switch is indeed feeding the light only. And the other switch is feeding the fan. If you have pull chains on the fan are you absolutely certain the switches (on wall) turns on one switch leg at a time? Separate? Normally I do not answer these questions when someone does not take notes or mark their wires. IMO you should have to hire someone now or live with pull chains.

I must assume you know the fan is connected correctly internally? You mention everything about the fan, but then ask a completely different question regarding the switch legs that go up to the ceiling box. So, you are only asking about the switch legs, right?

With both switches turned off, hook one meter lead to the neutral in the ceiling box. Alligator meter leads are your best bet. Then turn on one switch and find the hot switch leg with the other meter lead. Leave the lead connected and turn it on and off to be certain. Mark this wire.
Do the same thing until you find the other wire coming from the switch box. Mark it. Then connect black from fan to one marked switch leg and blue from fan to other marked switch leg.

If you do not find the second switch leg it could be two things. 1) It never existed. 2) It is somehow disconnected. Check every box you have opened including receptacle boxes. Sometimes the wall switch is for a switched receptacle and does not go up to the ceiling box. Make sure this is not the case.

One more thing. Did you disconnect any of the wires in the ceiling box? If you did, this is most likely where your problem is. The hot for the switch or switches originates in the ceiling box in many cases. So check the switches to make sure both switches have a hot wire connected to them.

Last edited by J. V.; 10-04-2011 at 11:52 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Verifiy that the switch is indeed feeding the light only. And the other switch is feeding the fan. If you have pull chains on the fan are you absolutely certain the switches (on wall) turns on one switch leg at a time? Separate? Normally I do not answer these questions when someone does not take notes or mark their wires. IMO you should have to hire someone now or live with pull chains.

I must assume you know the fan is connected correctly internally? You mention everything about the fan, but then ask a completely different question regarding the switch legs that go up to the ceiling box. So, you are only asking about the switch legs, right?

With both switches turned off, hook one meter lead to the neutral in the ceiling box. Alligator meter leads are your best bet. Then turn on one switch and find the hot switch leg with the other meter lead. Leave the lead connected and turn it on and off to be certain. Mark this wire.
Do the same thing until you find the other wire coming from the switch box. Mark it. Then connect black from fan to one marked switch leg and blue from fan to other marked switch leg.

If you do not find the second switch leg it could be two things. 1) It never existed. 2) It is somehow disconnected. Check every box you have opened including receptacle boxes. Sometimes the wall switch is for a switched receptacle and does not go up to the ceiling box. Make sure this is not the case.

One more thing. Did you disconnect any of the wires in the ceiling box? If you did, this is most likely where your problem is. The hot for the switch or switches originates in the ceiling box in many cases. So check the switches to make sure both switches have a hot wire connected to them.
The ceiling fan/light fixture was in the house when I moved in. It has been working for years. I thought a bulb had blown. When replacing it didn't work, as it would flicker on and off, I removed the light fixture. One end of the hot wire (approx. 8 inch blue wire) connected to the light fixture at the other end, fell from some connection within the cluster of wires I mentioned earlier. It is a cathedral ceiling, and the fan has about a 5 foot drop from the ceiling. Surely, they would not have had a connection within the drop tubing, would they? I had already tried your suggestions, to no avail.
Catawba is offline   Reply With Quote