Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan won't stay at certain speed?

I've got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that has the white remotes you see at Home Depot. We usually keep it on "medium" speed however last night I noticed it was going pretty fast. I've tried putting it on low & medium and it keeps just going to the faster speed no matter what I have it set on.

Any ideas? New ceiling fan? Everything works on it lights and all so it would suck to have to buy a new one.

imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #2

Do the easiest thing first try replacing the remote speed controller.

If that don't work post back .

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola ghost View Post
I've got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that has the white remotes you see at Home Depot. We usually keep it on "medium" speed however last night I noticed it was going pretty fast. I've tried putting it on low & medium and it keeps just going to the faster speed no matter what I have it set on.

Any ideas? New ceiling fan? Everything works on it lights and all so it would suck to have to buy a new one.
Do you live in an apartment, or in a neighborhood with neighbors nearby? Those remotes are all set on the same channel by default. If a neighbor has the same fan controller, your remotes can control each others' fans! How do I know this? It happened to me. My neighbor and I (houses about 30 feet apart) were controlling each others' fans and lights. Took us a year to figure it out!

There is a channel setting switch (actually four tiny switches) in both the remote and the receiver. You can switch channels and see if that fixes it.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Check the batteries also!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #5

I have a similar problem. I have two Hampton Bay fans controlled by a single remote and one has stopped working. Neither the light nor the fan will come on. The other fan continues to work fine with the remote. Both fans are 3 years old. Any ideas?
Thanks
pgr380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #6

Mine turned out to be that the dip switches would get moved by the battery wire as I put in the battery.

The problem is that when you put in the battery the dip switches are so close to the battery wires that it moves them.
imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #7

Tried adjusting the DIP switches but no luck. I've not changed the battery in the remote, so I don't know how the switches could have been reset. The remote operates the other fan, so I don't think it's the battery.

Each fan has two pull chains and I assume one is for the fan and one for the light. Tonight, I used the remote to turn the "good" fan on. Both light and fan came on. I then pulled one of the chains to see what would happen. Both the fan and light turned off. I cannot get the fan or light to come back on now, no matter how many times I pull the chain and/or press the remote. From what I've read, one chain should operate the light, and one should operate the fan (high, medium, low). Why would the fan and light turn off by pulling only one chain? Apparently, somebody pulled the chain on the other fan and this is why it stopped working. Until tonight, I have never used the pull chains, just the remote. Any ideas?
Thanks

pgr380 is offline   Reply With Quote