Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

Hi,

I'm trying to replace an old ceiling fan with a new ceiling fan with a light. The old fan was controlled by a switch on the wall which I want to have control the light now. I wired the fan and light as it says in the manual but its not working. My limited experience tells me that the wiring is 14/3 and there are 4 seperate cables in the electrical ceiling box.

Here's what I've done

Blue & black wire from fan attached to black wire in electrical box (the black wire that was used on the old fan)

The white wire from the fan is connected to the white wire in the electrical box (the white wire that was used on the old fan)

The ground is attached to a screw on the box.

Additional info - 2 out of the other 3 black wires are screwed together and the last black wire is screwed together with the 3 remaining white wires. all the ground wires are screwed together.

The ceiling fan and light has a wire plug connection to connect the controls and lights to the fan but the colors don't match completely on the either side of the plug there is a gray wire going into a white wire (not sure if this matters).

Any help would be appreciated.

Wes

wesr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #2

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

Sounds like you have connected it correctly. The blue is for the light and the black is for the fan and you connected them to the black that the other fan black used. Then you connected the white to the white that was used before. This is correct. Do you have a way to measure the voltage. Check it with the switch on and off to make sure the switch is good and you have power to the fan.
Double check the plug you mentioned. Make sure it is plugged in correctly. It should only go in one way, the right way. But possible it is in wrong.
If you have power to the fan and the plug is inserted correctly the fan is the problem. Double check the connections where the light attaches to the fan. You may have to make these connections yourself. I assume the fan and light are seperate.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

You might also want to tie the black wire of the fan to the black bundle in the box to allow for the fan to hot all the time. Check to make sure you have 120v to ground with the switch off.

Tie the blue wire to the switch feed (black from the old fan) to operate the light only.
NAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #4

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

Nail, Why do suggest he wire the fan hot all the time. His previous fan worked so this fan should work. It's not safe to have power to the fan when the switch is off.
I think I understand where you are going with this. You are thinking he could have seperate control for the light via the switch and fan operation via the pull chain. I guess it would work if the pull chain has an OFF position. But then the only way he can kill power to the fan is via the breaker. Not a good idea in my humble opinion.

ps....How can you tell if the pull chain is in the OFF position when installing the fan?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #5

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

J.V.

Wiring a fan hot is the standard installation when you have only one switch and a constant hot at the fan location. Your more likely to run the fan without the lights on. I know you can pull the light chain to shut the fan off at night but it is not very convenient.

All appliances have constant power when the cord is pluged in. Why are we afraid of the ceiling fans?

Ceiling fans have an off postion with the pull chain along with multiple speeds.

You should always turn off the power before hooking up any device.

Nail

Last edited by NAIL; 02-25-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #6

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIL View Post
J.V.

Wiring a fan hot is the standard installation when you have only one switch and a constant hot at the fan location. Your more likely to run the fan without the lights on. I know you can pull the light chain to shut the fan off at night but it is not very convenient.

All appliances have constant power when the cord is pluged in. Why are we afraid of the ceiling fans?

Ceiling fans have an off postion with the pull chain along with multiple speeds.

You should always turn off the power before hooking up any device.

Nail
I'm not afraid of ceiling fans, I am afraid of girls with names like Yolanda.
Turning off the power before wiring makes sense, but it's pretty hard to screw up when you only have to remember white, black and ground.
I just watch the sparks fly when I do wiring, if it's small sparks, I go shut off the power and if its big sparks I watch flip this house to see what they would do.
pauldahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #7

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldahammer View Post
I'm not afraid of ceiling fans, I am afraid of girls with names like Yolanda.
Turning off the power before wiring makes sense, but it's pretty hard to screw up when you only have to remember white, black and ground.
I just watch the sparks fly when I do wiring, if it's small sparks, I go shut off the power and if its big sparks I watch flip this house to see what they would do.
Ceiling fans are not cord and plug devices. They should not be installed into the branch circuit, but should be controlled by a switch or two switches if you want independant control of fan and light.
You still have not answered my question? How do you know the fan is in the off position with a pull chain? The fan is usually assembled before it is installed. What would happen to you if the fan was on when you were hooking up the wires? Get the point?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #8

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

When I install ceiling fans, I first hang the motor by itself and then connect the wires. There are times when turning off the breaker to the circuit is not possible. Some breaker panels out here are so hodge-podged that even with a circuit sounder in place on the line, several breakers will register the same strength or level of sound. Can't risk turning off the wrong breaker, especially when there are computers, plasma TV's, LCD TV's, etc. plugged in and "on" and in use. So, one has to be careful and safety-conscious but practical and resourceful nonetheless. Yes, on rare occasions where it's NOT a ceiling fan with a proprietary light fixture and an electronic connection, the fan's 3-speed switch may be in any of the run positions. But, with the fan secure in its mount and the blades unistalled, first goes the ground, next the white and then when the black is connnected, the motor simply spins harmlessly and I then pull the chain until it reaches "off". I always attach the blades onto the fan after it's been hung and the ceiling cup or bell is secured.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #9

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

I answered your question J.V.

"Turn off the power"!!! Than the blades won't attack you.

Or do what End Grain says, but it sounds incrediable dangerous.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #10

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

Does the new fan have a remote control??

I recently installed and new fan and it had a remote device. Turned on the wall switch....nothing. Then I remembered that I changed the code switches on the remote device in the fan, and lost the note showing the switch position. As a starter to a career in safe cracking, I gave the hand held remote to my son (it was in his room), showed him the switches, and said "figure out the switch config that works". About 10 minutes later he comes out and says, "Dad, fan works now".
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
electrical contractor

Ceiling Fan Wiring Help!

I installed all my fans in my house, hot all the time, this allows independant control of light and motor. I use the method end grain uses to install, but even if the blades were installed the fan does not have enough starting torque to do any damage you can hold the blade and stall the motor so it wont cut off your head or anything like that.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote