Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Hope this hasn't been discussed before. I've been tossing around the idea of a ceiling fan for my living room where there isn't a ceiling light.
There is a double switch at the front door leading to the room. One works the out door light and I haven't figured out just what the second one does.
Off or on, it doesn't have anything to do with the outlets.

I live in the upstairs of a 2 story complex and have access to the attic. The ceiling fan over in the office has it's wiring inside a metal channel. That's fine with me and is allowed here.
Anyone know what I'm talking about and can explain the easiest way to wire one? A good fan support bracket suggestion would help also. The roof here is 24in o.c. trusses if that helps.

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Can you get yourself thru the trusses in the attic to the area above where you want to put the ceiling fan?

Do you want a switch on the wall, or do you think you will be ok with just a remote to control the fan?

Have you been up in the attic? If so, did you see any electrical junction boxes?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,432

Ceiling Fan Wiring

The mystery switch may only control half of a duplex receptacle.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
There is a double switch at the front door leading to the room. One works the out door light and I haven't figured out just what the second one does.
Off or on, it doesn't have anything to do with the outlets.
I must ask..... have you checked both top & bottom of each outlet ?
It's fairly common to have just one half of an outlet switch operated while the other half with constant power.

I'd try to figure that out first..... If that is the case and you do not require the switched outlet than try fishing a new 14/2 line attic down into your 2nd switch which is already powered up and run the line towards the center of the ceiling where u want ur new fixture to go. Cut out an opening and install a new ceiling box which you must properly support in the attic since there will be a heavier fan installed and you should have a working fan/light.

Also, dont forget to remove the existing outlet that WAS switched and cap off the now dead line that was feeding it and replace the receptacle with a new one that has the hot side bridge terminal in tact. Also cap off line at other end where ur switch is.

IF 2nd SWITCH WAS NOT USED FOR AN OUTLET AND ITS STAYING....

Try opening up the wall and extending it to a 3 gang switch box then jump power over to ur new switch and proceed with the previous steps of fishing new line from attic down to switch running to center ceiling box for ur fan.

Btw: good idea to 1st check that the cct isn't overloaded to begin with before u start adding additional loads.
57_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The mystery switch may only control half of a duplex receptacle.
Well I'll be darned, that's what it does. Here I thought that I had a bad receptacle. What's the purpose behind that idea?

But no, none of these units came with ceiling lights or boxes in the attic.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,432

Ceiling Fan Wiring

This gives you the ability to switch a floor or table lamp from a wall switch, but still have power available for a stereo or TV.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Quote:
What's the purpose behind that idea?

But no, none of these units came with ceiling lights or boxes in the attic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
This gives you the ability to switch a floor or table lamp from a wall switch, but still have power available for a stereo or TV.
And it's a cheap way builders provide the code minimum required "lighting" for a room instead of installing a ceiling box and fixture.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Electrician

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Tizzer, I asked some questions earlier. Answering them might help with planning this installation.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #9

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Can you get yourself thru the trusses in the attic to the area above where you want to put the ceiling fan?

Do you want a switch on the wall, or do you think you will be ok with just a remote to control the fan?

Have you been up in the attic? If so, did you see any electrical junction boxes?
Sorry Proby.
Yes, getting into the attic isn't a problem and no, there are not any junction boxes. Being how that second switch controls the duplex outlets, I'm not sure what to do now.
Being able to turn the ceiling fan on/off with it's pull chain would be OK. I'm not planning on a lighted fan..... just a fan.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Electrician

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Quote:
Sorry Proby.
Yes, getting into the attic isn't a problem and no, there are not any junction boxes. Being how that second switch controls the duplex outlets, I'm not sure what to do now.
Being able to turn the ceiling fan on/off with it's pull chain would be OK. I'm not planning on a lighted fan..... just a fan.
Ok, well that might change things. If you are ok with using the pull chain or the remote for the fan control, then all you have to do is find power in the attic to splice to. I would take a look up there for wiring in that area, there has to be something to splice into. Since there are no boxes, you'll have to insert a box into one of the cables, if there isn't enough slack, you'll have to use two boxes with a jumper in between.

After that, you'll need a 2X4, some 3" screws, and a fan rated box.

Tizzer (08-08-2010)