Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Hi, I am trying to wire a ceiling fan in my son's room. the room is not prewired. I did all the hard work out of the way is just putting all the wires together. inside the gang box that I am working on there is already three set of romex wires, plus the one I added. there is a switch in his room that control a plug in light on the wall. in the box there are one 14/3 and two 14/2 plus the one I added witch is another 14/3. the amp inside the circuit braker for the room that I am working on is a 15amp braker, witch is shared by another room. the ceiling fan has a light on it so I bought a 3 switch combination to be able to control each one separately.

HOW SHOULD I TIE IN THE WIRE FOR THE CEILING FAN?

all 3 white wires are all tied in together.

all 3 ground wires are all tied in together and 1 pig tail to ground on the switch.

all 3 black wires are all tied in together and 1 pig tail to the switch.

the only red wire at this point is connected directly to the switch.

SO HOW DO I ADD THE CEILING FAN WIRE INTO THE MIX? THAT HAS WHITE,BLACK,RED, AND GROUND.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
JRSBASURA

jrsbasura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

You need to get power to the other two switches. You can do that on a combination type switch either by daisy chaining from from switch to switch using the backstab holes in the back or by adding two more pigtails to the black wires and connecting those to the two switches for the light and fan. take your 14/3 and put the red wire to the switch you want and the balck to the other. Red will be your switched hot for the light dome and black is switched hot for the fan. Connect the white to the other whites. Ground with the other grounds.
At the fan.. red to the light wire usually blue... and then black to black... white to white...ground to ground wire or screw.

It will look like this only you will have to modify but you should get the idea.....
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan Wiring?-ceiling-fan.jpg  

Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #3

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Thank You Stubbie, Ok so from the new 14/3 wire I take the black wire and tie it in with the other black to get power into the new 14/3 and pig tail it to the switch to control one of the switches, and the red wire goes directly to the switch to control one of the switches?

As I said that the two room is sharing power, will 15 amp breaker enough to run both room?

how do I know if the breaker is no good? because when I mis wired the ceiling fan the breaker pop, it wont stay to on position. there's a tester button on the 15amp breaker.

Thank You for all your help and quick respond.

jrsbasura
Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Quote:
Thank You Stubbie, Ok so from the new 14/3 wire I take the black wire and tie it in with the other black to get power into the new 14/3 and pig tail it to the switch to control one of the switches, and the red wire goes directly to the switch to control one of the switches?
No...take the black from the new 14/3 going to the ceiling fan to a switch, this will be your switched hot for the fan motor same idea with the red. Incoming power will will connect to the other screws. Incoming power is one of the black wires connected in the wirenut that has three black wires in it. The pigtail in that wirenut is taking power to that single pole switch. The red on that switch is the switched power for the receptacle. When you install your combination switch in that single gang box you need to get incoming power to each switch. You can do that by getting two more pigtails and adding them into the wire nut with the blacks then connecting them to the other two switches along with the existing pigtail. So you will have 3 pigtails each going to a switch. Or you can connect that one pigtail to a switch and then use the backstab holes to daisy chain (connect together) the other two switches to that single pigtail.

Quote:
As I said that the two room is sharing power, will 15 amp breaker enough to run both room?
Probably assuming you are not going to run a space heater or something someday.

Quote:
how do I know if the breaker is no good? because when I mis wired the ceiling fan the breaker pop, it wont stay to on position. there's a tester button on the 15amp breaker.
Assuming the room is a bedroom the breaker is an afci breaker. Also assuming this all worked before you added the ceiling fan you simply miswired something and the breaker tripped.

Quote:
Thank You for all your help and quick respond.
Your welcome I can improve the drawing to show your exact situation if you like.

Just to be certain you are installing a switch similar to this correct?

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-17-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

I have to take off for a few hours so I'll post this diagram showing the daisy chain method, others here can help you if this is still confusing. If you chose to add pigtails to the wire nut (6 wires total) it will get rather difficult to get all the blacks into one wirenut for most DIY. You can split the blacks using two wirenuts with a common jumper or a push wire connector like this with 6 ports....the daisy chain method as shown in the diagram will be the cleanest.

Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan Wiring?-ceiling-fan-1.jpg  

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-17-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Those combination devices usually have a single common screw for the power in and three separate screws for the controlled loads, so only one power connection is necessary.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Thanks Househelper

I believe you are absolutely right, its been a while since I fooled with one.

Ok that being the case you will just connect the single pigtail you already have to the common terminal of the combination device then just connect the switched wires as shown in the diagram. The black wires I show connecting the switches will not be necessary so just look at them as internal to the switching device..
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Licensed Pro

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

You didn't stay gone very long.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Nope.....but I'm gone now. I just don't like where I'm going.....say you wouldn't be interested in a little muddy crawlspace work would you....
Old 07-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Licensed Pro

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Nope.....but I'm gone now. I just don't like where I'm going.....say you wouldn't be interested in a little muddy crawlspace work would you....
Naaa... I'm more partial to attics. In July. In SC. Great way to drop a few pounds in an hour.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #11

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Those combination devices usually have a single common screw for the power in and three separate screws for the controlled loads, so only one power connection is necessary.
So the new 14/3 wire I would need to get the black wire and tie it in with the the other black wires witch is pig tail to the single common screw for power, and another pig tail for 1 of the controlled load to control the fan, is that right?

Thank You
jrsbasura
Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #12

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Thanks Househelper

I believe you are absolutely right, its been a while since I fooled with one.

Ok that being the case you will just connect the single pigtail you already have to the common terminal of the combination device then just connect the switched wires as shown in the diagram. The black wires I show connecting the switches will not be necessary so just look at them as internal to the switching device..

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND TO MY QUESTION, VERY HELPFUL.

jrsbasura
Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #13

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

[So the new 14/3 wire I would need to get the black wire and tie it in with the the other black wires witch is pig tail to the single common screw for power, and another pig tail for 1 of the controlled load to control the fan, is that right?

Thank You
jrsbasura

quote=Stubbie;140197]No...take the black from the new 14/3 going to the ceiling fan to a switch, this will be your switched hot for the fan motor same idea with the red. Incoming power will will connect to the other screws. Incoming power is one of the black wires connected in the wirenut that has three black wires in it. The pigtail in that wirenut is taking power to that single pole switch. The red on that switch is the switched power for the receptacle. When you install your combination switch in that single gang box you need to get incoming power to each switch. You can do that by getting two more pigtails and adding them into the wire nut with the blacks then connecting them to the other two switches along with the existing pigtail. So you will have 3 pigtails each going to a switch. Or you can connect that one pigtail to a switch and then use the backstab holes to daisy chain (connect together) the other two switches to that single pigtail.

Probably assuming you are not going to run a space heater or something someday.

Assuming the room is a bedroom the breaker is an afci breaker. Also assuming this all worked before you added the ceiling fan you simply miswired something and the breaker tripped.

Your welcome I can improve the drawing to show your exact situation if you like.

Just to be certain you are installing a switch similar to this correct?[/quote]
Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #14

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

What size is your switch box? Is it one-gang, two-gang, or more?

How deep is it?
williswires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #15

Ceiling Fan Wiring?

If you only have a single gang metal device box, you are in violation of box fill requirements. You need minimum of 28 cu. in. of box space to safely have all those conductors.

Even if you have a two-ganged metal device box, you would only be legal if the single box size is 3x2x2-3/4 deep or larger, then you put two of them together.

If you have a plastic box, it needs to be marked with at least 26 cu. in. to be legal.

williswires is offline   Reply With Quote