Ceiling Fan Wiggle - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

Ceiling fan wiggle

I'm not sure where to post this, please let me know if this should be in a different sub forum.

I installed a flush mount ceiling fan in my living room that replaced an older one. I made sure all the bolts were as tight as I could get them (bracket to ceiling mount and motor to bracket). I was almost afraid of over tightening it.

I put everything together but when the fan runs on med or high, you can see the light kit which came with the fan lightly jiggle, just enough to make it annoying.

Any ideas? Without the blades it doesn't feel like there's much movement but with the blades on it has some. It's as if the blades are causing too much leverage.

Is there a way to correct it? The old fan I replaced was an adjustable height type and it didn't wiggle, but this is my first flush mount install. Also, the fan i installed in our nursery is an adjustable height type as well and it doesn't wiggle either.

Advertisement

adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Ceiling fan wiggle

There should be a fan balance kit included with the fan.

Follow the directions with the kit.

If no kit included, I believe you can get them at your Lowes, HomeDepot, etc.

Advertisement

parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling fan wiggle

You can try switching a few blades around, maybe you will get a better balance. If you want, you can weigh each blade with an accurate scale and "fiddle" with the arrangement. Either you will figure it out or get used to the wiggle.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 664

Ceiling fan wiggle

If switching the blades does not work, something as simple as taping a quarter to the blade may work. It's going to be a trial and error thing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 268

Ceiling fan wiggle

I tried switching the blades some and no luck. I'll give the quarter a try.

Is this common with flush mounts? I found out they have a way different mounting style. Taping a quarter to the top of a fan blade doesn't seem like something I should have to do to a brand new fan?

Any chance it's defective?
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling fan wiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
I tried switching the blades some and no luck. I'll give the quarter a try.

Is this common with flush mounts? I found out they have a way different mounting style. Taping a quarter to the top of a fan blade doesn't seem like something I should have to do to a brand new fan?

Any chance it's defective?
Try the quarter to see if that slove the balance issue however there is the other thing you can do is take a mesureing tape and measure the fan from the ceiling to the blade to see the differnce on height.

You may have to either push up or down depending on which way it goes if one is too high then pull it down a little that useally do the trick but not too much to make it worst.

With hugger types fans did you installed a rubber bushing between the fan bracket ( the item which it will be used to tied to the junction box ) and the fan motour. this is kinda semi common item when some peoples forgot to install one or overtighten it. ( check the installment instruction to make sure the pattern is correct )

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #7

Ceiling fan wiggle

Quote:

Is this common with flush mounts? It's common with all mounts. I found out they have a way different mounting style. Taping a quarter to the top of a fan blade doesn't seem like something I should have to do to a brand new fan? I kind of agree, but it's just the way it is. I also understand that residential ceiling fans made pretty good. If they made one that absolutely did not wiggle under any uneven residential mounting situation, then they would be too expensive and no one would buy them.

Any chance it's defective? Possible but doubtful.

Like I stated in above post, Did it come with a balance kit? If not, go buy one. Very easy to do and not expensive.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,704

Ceiling fan wiggle

i had a flush mount do that. i tried for hours to balance it = waist of time.
i ended up putting some thick rubber shims between the fan and the mount. that did the trick.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,222

Ceiling fan wiggle

Quote:
Taping a quarter to the top of a fan blade doesn't seem like something I should have to do to a brand new fan?
A fan balance kit is nothing more than some small, self-sticking weights. I've never bought a fan that didn't come with such a kit. Interestingly, though I've probably installed a dozen fans over the years, I've never actually had to balance one.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #10

Ceiling fan wiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
A fan balance kit is nothing more than some small, self-sticking weights. I've never bought a fan that didn't come with such a kit. Interestingly, though I've probably installed a dozen fans over the years, I've never actually had to balance one.

I have installed a few myself. I believe I have had to balance every single one of them. Even the flush mount ones. Even with using the rubber shims for the mounting bracket...Maybe it's me?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,222

Ceiling fan wiggle

What? You're unbalanced? Every fan I've ever installed has been a Hunter. Maybe other brands are not built as well?
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 562

Ceiling fan wiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
What? You're unbalanced? Every fan I've ever installed has been a Hunter. Maybe other brands are not built as well?

There it is!

Using Hunter fans I can't say that I've ever had a wobble problem.

With Harbor Breeze, Hampton Bay, etc, etc, it seems to be a regular event.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Ceiling fan wiggle

I will add, that it doesn't take much to throw the balance off track. The slightest bending of the fan blade arm, the blade could be warped, the ceiling where mounted not level. To correct the problem is much like balancing a tire on a car as stated in prior posts. Every fan I know of comes with a small package containing a fan blade weight, and some self adhereing weight strips to be applied to the top side of the fan blade. Just slide the weight along the edge of the blade to find where it needs to be counter-balanced.

Advertisement

fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote