Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling fan-wall transmitter for light and fan speed control

I presently have 2-3way switches for my ceiling fan; once on, the lights & fan speed are pull chain adjusted. I don't need both switches & want to install a "wall transmitter" which adjusts fan speed and lights from the wall switch (for my nice new fan). I have been studying this site & learned how to determine which is the switch leg & which is the power leg (thanks 220/221! & others). Now I need to learn how to eliminate the switch leg switch & put the wall transmitter (2way) switch in place of the power (3- way) switch.
stan 41943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Union Electrician

What you can do is determine which wires are your travellers (there will be 2). You then can splice one of the travellers to the hot and the other end of the same wire to the new switch. This will feed the switch hot. You already have a switch leg going to the fan so the only thing left to do is cap off the unused traveller on both ends and close it up. Stubbie will undoubtedly have a wonderful diagram to illustrate my comments. Stubbie?
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #3

Wink

Each of the 3ways have one red and two black wires. On on each switch I can identify the "hot" black wire. I assume that the other black & the red are travelers. So far so good? So if I cap off the red on both sides (both switches), on one side I put a 2way between the traveler and the hot & on the other side connect the traveler & the hot?

Last edited by stan 41943; 03-01-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
Union Electrician

You should only have one "hot". To clarify this, this will be the wire that supplies current to the switch from the panel. Both switches will have three wires. One side will have the hot and 2 travellers. The other will have the switch leg (goes to the fan/light) and the other end of the travellers. Do you have a voltage meter to accurately determine which is the actual 'hot'? I can't say which colors are hot for sure.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #5

IT WORKS! And I learned the terms "switch leg, traveler, common". THANKS! Kinda missed seeing a famous Stubby diagram. Was it his sine wave diagram in the 3wire vs. 4wire 220 circuits intellectual discussion in last month's thread? Electricians ROCK!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Union Electrician

Glad to hear it. And thank you. We do rock.