Ceiling Fan W/ Remote... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

ceiling fan w/ remote...

is driving us crazy

It's an off-brand fan, we like the looks of it, and it works fine, but for one problem...

It is controlled by a remote. To turn the light on or off, you have to have the wall switch in the on position, and then turn the light on using the remote. It's a PITA to walk in a dark room and not be able to turn on the light until you find the remote.

The remote also controls each of the 3 fan speeds. I know it's a long shot, but is there any way you guys can think of to remove the remote from the system and control it all via the wall?

Advertisement

longshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,786

ceiling fan w/ remote...

Typically the remote receiver is mounted in the canopy of the fan. If you already have wall switches you should be able to remove the receiver.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

ceiling fan w/ remote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
The remote also controls each of the 3 fan speeds. I know it's a long shot, but is there any way you guys can think of to remove the remote from the system and control it all via the wall?
If power is fed to the ceiling box and you have a switch loop down to the switch, you could do some rewiring and have the light controlled by the switch and the fan by the remote. Who put up the light/fan? Can we assume that this used to be just a light in this location?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #4

ceiling fan w/ remote...

yes, this fan replaced a standard incandescent light fixture. The remote receiver is in the fan canopy. I installed the fan. Controlling the fan via remote would be no problem for us, but we want to bypass the remote so that you can turn the light on via the wall switches 100% of the time. Does this sound possible?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
I=E/R

ceiling fan w/ remote...

It may be possible depending on how the receiver is integrated into the canopy. Do you know if power is fed to the ceiling box or to the switch box?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

ceiling fan w/ remote...

We just used Hook & Loop for the fan remote, and keep it next to the switch. No need to take it with you. I mean come on, how hard is it to get up and switch on or off the light, same with the fan. I still remember when you had to get out of your chair to raise & lower the volume of the tv, along with the same for changing the channel.

Of course, now they are making the fan remotes, so that you can control them from your cellphone or computer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

ceiling fan w/ remote...

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking. There are 2 switches (one in the closet, one in the bedroom) that control this light/fan. How would I determine where the power is fed?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
I=E/R

ceiling fan w/ remote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I still remember when you had to get out of your chair to raise & lower the volume of the tv, along with the same for changing the channel.
Yup, and we only had three channels to pick from as we turned the channel knob and felt it go clunk clunk as the rotary switch indexed to the next position..
Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #9

ceiling fan w/ remote...

I agree with you Gregzoll... In our case, it turns out to be simpler if you can just turn on the light by pressing the switch on the wall... For the fan, which is used less frequently, having a remote at the bedside table wouldn't be so bad...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
I=E/R

ceiling fan w/ remote...

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking. There are 2 switches (one in the closet, one in the bedroom) that control this light/fan. How would I determine where the power is fed?
Now we have a new problem, you didn't say it had three-way switches...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #11

ceiling fan w/ remote...

if I hadn't stated that I am an electrical rookie, I will now. At this point I'm trying to figure out if changing this is possible, and if so, how much of a project is it. As it stands it works ok, but it sure is an annoyance.

thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,362

ceiling fan w/ remote...

Quote:
You have a switch in the closet for the fan? Must say that is not a real common arrangement.

Sorry but you need an electricain to sort that out for you.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #13

ceiling fan w/ remote...

to clarify, I am talking about our main ceiling light in the bedroom. It can be switched on/off by two different switches, one in the bedroom and one in the walk-in closet. About a year ago I took the old light down and replaced it with a ceiling fan that has a light on it.

Now, in order to turn either the light or fan on, I need to ensure that the wall switch is in the 'on' position, then use the remote to turn the light or fan on.

I'm trying to determine if it's possible/difficult to bypass the light control in the remote, and make it so that the light can be turned on/off from the wall switches, as it was before.

cheers
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
I=E/R

ceiling fan w/ remote...

You should be able to do this but only if power is fed first to the ceiling fixture.
Do you remember what wiring was inside the ceiling box when you changed out the light for the fan?
Is the wiring in your house "romex" cable?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #15

ceiling fan w/ remote...

yes it is romex cable. house was built in '96. It has been some time since I looked at it, but if I can confirm that the power is going directly to the fan/light, and then fed out to the switches, do you have any suggestions on how to hard-wire the light so it bypasses the remote?

Advertisement

Last edited by longshanks; 10-27-2011 at 06:27 PM.