Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2004, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Ceiling Fan w/light fixture

I am installing a ceiling fan with a light fixture to a single wall switch. I followed the instructions on the manual for operating the lights from the switch and the fan from the chain. The wires coming out of the ceiling are black, white, red, and bare. The wires on the fan are black, white, blue, and green. I matched up the blacks and whites. I matched the red to the blue (?), and the bare to the green ground. The fan portion operates, but the lights do not. I would greatly appreciate any help here. My intention was to ADD more light to my office....now I'm in the dark........but much cooler! Thank you.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Does the fan now work off the switch and the lights not at all?

If so change the wiring at the ceiling. White to white, black(from fan) to red, blue(from fan) to black.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I am installing a ceiling fan with a light fixture to a single wall switch. I followed the instructions on the manual for operating the lights from the switch and the fan from the chain. The wires coming out of the ceiling are black, white, red, and bare. The wires on the fan are black, white, blue, and green. I matched up the blacks and whites. I matched the red to the blue (?), and the bare to the green ground. The fan portion operates, but the lights do not. I would greatly appreciate any help here. My intention was to ADD more light to my office....now I'm in the dark........but much cooler! Thank you.

If you did this or not just do it again to double check your work. Go to the switch and see which wire is being used (red or black). Then make sure that the red, black, white, and ground are not attached to any other wires in the switch box to make sure those are the actual wires going to the ceiling fan box so you know if you have direct connection to the fan box and not to another area after the switch. Or you can test the wires in the ceiling box to see which one(if not both) is powering up. Then check to see which wire is the light and which is the fan. I'm guessing the blue wire is the light, but make sure. Make sure all your connections are tight and capped properly. Don't put anything back together until you're able to test your light and fan so far. Just hang it up so you can test it properly.

If you know for sure that those are the actual wires in the switchbox going to the fan box you can just install a fan light switch. You can also hook the black and blue wires together with power and just pull the chain for the fan or light; pretty much leave powered what you want to use if not both.

hope this helps
Old 02-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #4

Your light that was in place before, was it wired to white and red? If so the fan should work the way you wired it, and you might want to make sure the light is hooked up properly inside the fan. Another thing you can try to troubleshoot is to wire the fan like this: black and blue to black, white to white. Both the fan and light should work but neither be controlled by the switch. If the light still doesnt work then the problem is within the assembly!

For more information on ceiling fan wiring:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php
ceilingfanrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

You DO realize you are replying to, and asking questions to, a post that was made TWO YEARS ago. Don't you?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
You DO realize you are replying to, and asking questions to, a post that was made TWO YEARS ago. Don't you?
Whoops, I guess I'm not very aware. They came up on a Google search.

Sorry for the inconvenience . . . but you never know. Maybe someone else having a similar problem also found the thread via a Google search, and now the solution is there. Not to mention the remote possibility that the original poster is still pining for an answer.

Anyone got any new questions about ceiling fans, I'll be happy to answer.

ceilingfanrepair is offline   Reply With Quote