Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan suspended ceiling

Does anyone know where I can buy a box that has a chain and suspended ceiling bracket online ? I'm trying to mount a ceiling fan in my suspended ceiling , or any other ideas. thanks

bdalekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #2

A chain won't do what you're wanting to do. It would sway...a lot. You'll have to frame down to the ceiling and mount a regular, fan rated box. How high is the ceiling that you won't have height issues with a fan?

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

For most residential applications I do frame down with wood since the framing above is typically very close.

For applications where the framing/structure is higher Fan Brace does make a kit with a 24" bar, box, enough chain to go about 8' up in two directions and turnbuckles.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #4

I found these , I wonder If they will do ok ? They say that they cost $28.00 . kind of steep I thought.
http://www.aifittings.com/whnew84a.htm
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
A chain won't do what you're wanting to do. It would sway...a lot. You'll have to frame down to the ceiling and mount a regular, fan rated box. How high is the ceiling that you won't have height issues with a fan?
I figured the bracket across the top of the box would keep it from swaying. The chain to be used for the weight and the bracket that locks into the grid would keep it from swaying.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #6

Quote:
I figured the bracket across the top of the box would keep it from swaying. The chain to be used for the weight and the bracket that locks into the grid would keep it from swaying.
It might but I'd be leary of it.

Quote:
They say that they cost $28.00 . kind of steep I thought.
I didn't look at the link but I think its a little steep too considering that for about $2 worth of scrap lumber (the lumber yard here in town has a pile of shorts and cuts outside from their truss factory...free for the taking) you can frame it down from the joists above. Net savings...$26
Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #7

Those systems are not designed for hard ceilings that are only a few inches above the drop grid. Most give you tons of chain.

And they DO work. I have installed enough of them to say this with certainty.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #8

The issue is going to be making sure the fan is well ballanced.

I can see huge problems with cheepo fans, and very few with pre-balanced high end fans
Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:

I didn't look at the link but I think its a little steep too considering that for about $2 worth of scrap lumber (the lumber yard here in town has a pile of shorts and cuts outside from their truss factory...free for the taking) you can frame it down from the joists above. Net savings...$26
Agreed.....that looks really "micky-moused"... However, if you use a good amount of duct tape while installing it, and .....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.....that looks really "micky-moused"...
Unless you two dont get out much you have probably been in hundreds of commercial buildings (offices, resturaunts etc) where the fans were installed just this way and you could never see the sway or realize how they were hung. This is a very common commercial application.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
Unless you two dont get out much you have probably been in hundreds of commercial buildings (offices, resturaunts etc) where the fans were installed just this way and you could never see the sway or realize how they were hung. This is a very common commercial application.
If you say so, I have never seen a ceiling fan ever installed in a commercial office environment. (Never worked on a project with it) - in my area (New England). Must be a warmer states thing. That may explain the, as you say, 'not getting out much'....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-17-2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: speeling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #12

Atlantic, "commercial" does not only mean "office".
I have done several fast food joints and retail stores with fans in drop ceilings.
One Subway I did had the bar joists about 12' above the drop grid. We used double chains in a "V" to help stabilize the box.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #13

I was refering to the relaxation areas of an office building, not the offices themselves. Break room, lobby, resturaunt, lounge. I was envisioning a large office building with first floor businesses. I have also put them in confrence rooms.

I also do not mean just the ones you have worked on, but all the ones that you have walked under, not realizing how they were hung.

I still say the issue is balancing the fan. A well ballanced fan will have no problems.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:

If you frame down to the grid , how am i supposed to get the tile in ?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #15

If you have a box in that space by ANY means...how are you supposed to get the tile in?

You will have to put the tile in first then cut the box in no matter how you secure it.