Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #1

Share |

ceiling fan speeds

I recently replaced the pull chain switch on my 3 speed ceiling fan. I matched all the wires to the right colors, etc and it works fine except for one thing....when I pull the chain, it starts out on the LOW speed instead of high like it normally did before I replaced the pull chain swith. What do you think I did wrong and is there any way to fix it?

catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #2

ceiling fan speeds

Fans sometimes start off with the high speed because starting with low speed might not provide enough torque to get the fan moving from a dead stop.

The new switch may have sequenced the application of power to different leads compared with the old switch.

The new switch might not have the leads colored the same way as the old switch.

Unless the switch instructions already described it, you would have to de-install the switch and use a continuity tester (or ohmmeter) to verify which leads are connected together with each pull of the chain. You would have to measure between every combination of leads taken two at a time.

When you write down the results you will end up with a 4x4 or so table of yes's and no's from which you can infer the sequence of application of power, or type the result in here and one of us could figure it out for you.

A schematic diagram in the instructions would save having to run all the continuity tests but most likely you don't have that for the old switch.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-09-2010 at 06:59 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

ceiling fan speeds

As long as the fan works I would let it be.

If it totally bugs you, swap the leads around til it works the way you want.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
jce

ceiling fan speeds

Allan , could you elaborate a little more about using the ohm meter to test for correct switch hookup ?
I need to replace a switch that somebody else started to & screwed it up.
thanks
jce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #5

ceiling fan speeds

Here, the ohmmeter is used to compare the behavior of the old switch and the new switch and determine which wire of the old switch corresponds to which wire of the new switch.

If the old switch is already broken, you can use the ohmmeter to determine the characteristics of the new switch (if you have no schematic diagram of the switch innards) but you need more information about the fan or other device (perhaps another schematic) before you can install the new switch.