Ceiling Fan Speed Controller Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan Speed Controller Help

Hi all,

Bit inexperienced, need some help installing a new fan controller. Fan is a ceiling fan only, no light.
Currently have a 5-speed selector on the wall that buzzes when switched on and looks about 30 years old...needs to be replaced. There's 3 wires coming out of the wall connecting to it: Red positive, Black negative and a Green/Yellow earth.
Replacing it with a unit: Switch, and below that the variable speed fan controller with the two wires going into the back of the switch - the positive and the loop. 4 circles on the switch in which to put the wires, one with a 'cross' through it.

Question 1 - Am I right to connect the black negative to the loop and the positive to the 'common' circle beneath the switch?
Question 2 - I'm unsure where to put the green/yellow earth wire thats coming from the wall?

Thanks all, if further clarification's needed etc let me know...

Advertisement

Steve0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Ceiling Fan Speed Controller Help

Based on the color coding being used and your terminology, my guess is you are not in North America. Did not a wiring diagram or instructions come with the new fan control? If not you need to get the paperwork, anything else is guesswork.

Advertisement

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote