Ceiling Fan Speed Control - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan speed control

My ceiling fan suddenly only works on high speed regardless of the pull chain speed control position. It is direct wired w/o a wall switch, otherwise I'd substitute in a wall speed control. Are internal fan speed controls replaceable? I assume that is what burned out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated . . . .

Advertisement

Paul_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

It should have a wall switch, but we will leave that argument for later. Just replace the pull chain switch.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Just replace the switch? I've never seen the internal wiring diagram of a ceiling fan, but it is a three speed unit. Is the chain switch a simple spst switch (which I know I can get anywhere) , with circuitry in the fan that interprets the toggling of the switch, or a multiposition switch (and where would I get that?) I guess I could simply pull the switch and test it with a VOM. Is it usually the switch that burns out, or the electronics the switch actuates?

I've installed many a ceiling fan, but never gone inside the controls before. This one is like new . . . hate to toss it if a simple part will do.
Paul_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_NJ View Post
Just replace the switch? I've never seen the internal wiring diagram of a ceiling fan, but it is a three speed unit. Is the chain switch a simple spst switch (which I know I can get anywhere) , with circuitry in the fan that interprets the toggling of the switch, or a multiposition switch (and where would I get that?) I guess I could simply pull the switch and test it with a VOM. Is it usually the switch that burns out, or the electronics the switch actuates?

I've installed many a ceiling fan, but never gone inside the controls before. This one is like new . . . hate to toss it if a simple part will do.
If it's new take it back and get a new one. A whole new fan.
If its not that new remove the old switch and mark down how the wires go back together. Take the switch to the store and get one just like it. Install it and then have a beer.

Or trash the fan. Its you're call after all. We can only give advice. I would fix it. Thats just me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote