Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan sparks, need some help

Aprox 1 month ago i installed a ceiling fan/light combo where there was an old light fixture in my bedroom. I purchased the fan from walmart and it worked fine untill today. I was laying in bed , the light on the fan was not on. the fan was running on low and for some reason it popped and a spark fell out of the fan burning out before it landed on the floor. basicly it looked and sounded like a blown light bulb but with the added spark..

anyway, the Fan continued to spin and i have no idea why it happened. I turned the light switch off that powered the fan, checked the box and it had not tripped the breaker. I then turned the power off to that room, took the fan down and inspected.. The wiring was just as i had installed it ( black and blue, to black in ceiling , white to white in ceiling, green to green which was also grounded directly to the fans plate screw.. ) There were no burnt or melted wires.. so then i took the light fixture apart and that also had no signs of wire malfunctions.. i could not get the actual fan motor apart but it appeared fine.. i even smelled it trying to detect that burnt out smell but couldnt..

So now i am extremely confused. the wires in my celing are capped off and im afraid to install another fan without knowing what the problem is.. like i said the light wasnt on, after the sparks the fan continued to spin, and there is no sign of burnt wires or anything wired wrong.. what should i do?

Deezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
the Musigician

Hi and welcome to the forum.

All I can think of is possibly a bug got zapped inside and you saw the end results.

DM

Old 06-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Are you sure that you weren't doing something else to see sparks fly!!!
hpp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Tileguy

Yup! A bug likely met his Waterloo.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

lol yes im sure..

i wish it was as simple as a bug crawled in but honestly i havent seen any bugs.. Although it was my first installation in this house it was not my first time installing a ceiling fan. i suppose im gonna have to throw up a simple light fixture tho.. cant afford to burn the house down that im renting because of a faulty ceiling fan.. i really thought they were made with more caution then that,but now i know why it was only 20 bucks.. i wish i could remember what brand it was better homes or home solutions, something like along those lines.. anyway that was not cool ! thanks to anyone who tried to help.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

if it was a bug it would have had to touch a bare wire correct? there were none other then ground.. the wires were capped properly and taped..
Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
the Musigician

Plenty of bare wires inside the motor casing.
Mine even has black fabric in the openings, presumably to keep out bugs, perhaps for just this reason.

DM
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
the Musigician

.....although, for $20.00 at wallfart, you can be 99% sure it's Made in China, so who knows WHAT could go wrong with it?

DM
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #9

Hi Deezz, you're not the only one who encountered this unsual spark from the lights. I had separated my shoulder prior to moving to our present residence and my wife without my knowledge hired a "handyman" to install our Moonglow Ceiling Fan from Harbor Breeze while I was working. Not long after it was installed, I pulled the light chain and it generated sparks only from the candelabra bulbs inside the globe. It did not posed any problem with the regular room light below the fan; however; I discovered that the "handyman" did not installed the plastic lock tab which was required to keep the fan installed properly. (FYI - This house was two wired without ground) I haven't investigated the reason for the spark yet but I'll let you know if I find out a possible cause. Sorry guys, you can't blame this on the bugs...

dbkmtice is offline   Reply With Quote