Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan Shaking

I installed a ceiling fan in a room I just renovated and it is shaking. It appears to me that the fan motor is unlevel amd that is causing the shaking and vibration. I don't think the entore issue is a fa blade weight issue. I think the fan motor is unlevel due to the ceiling and I don't know what to do

VinnyBags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #2

Ceiling Fan Shaking

Is it mounted to a fan rated box, or did you just remove a light and replace it with a fan?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Ceiling Fan Shaking

Yes. I roughed in the new box myself. it is a fan rated box that mounts to the side of the joist with lag bolts. I made sure the bolts are tight and the box was solid, but now after the ceiling is sheetrocked and finished. The corner of the fan box has a very littke bit of play in it. Im not sure if thats normal. Its not a lot, i would say mybe a 1/16 of an inch. But i also dont think the box is 100% level and i'm wondering if that could cause the shaking?

I also went over kill. I secured the fan bracket to the box and it was not completly flush on both sides that rest on the ceiling so i drilled additional holes in the mount and also secured it through the sheetrock by screwing to a stud. The mount appears to be flush now and doesnt move, however the moter mount that screws to the box mount is where it appears to me shaking a bit. I think that is not level, so im not sure if its the ceiling or the moter mount thats a bit off.

The san doesnt shake violently and only shakes noticably when on high, but i am also hearing a hum or vibration all the time but most noticably when its on high.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

Ceiling Fan Shaking

your blades could be out of balance
bova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Electrical Enthusiast

Ceiling Fan Shaking

...what brand is it?
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Licensed Pro

Ceiling Fan Shaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBags
I installed a ceiling fan in a room I just renovated and it is shaking. It appears to me that the fan motor is unlevel amd that is causing the shaking and vibration. I don't think the entore issue is a fa blade weight issue. I think the fan motor is unlevel due to the ceiling and I don't know what to do
Make sure the blades are fastened tight to the arms and the arms are tight to the motor.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

Ceiling Fan Shaking

The fan is a Harbor Breeze 42-in Cheshire II White Ceiling Fan with Light Kit purchased at Lowes. I thoought it may be unbalance and I attempted to balance the blades and it did get a little bit better but its not great and there is a hum that comes from the moter when its on high. I thought the ceiling of the fan moter moun is un level but when i measure the fan blades theya re all the same distance from the celing in multiple locations. I know the box mount is solid but the moter mount though screwed tithgt appears to move and seems un level.

I did use the little pads for the blade irons to attach to the moter. Should i remove those? Is it possible that one of them is a bit out of line and causing this issue?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #8

Ceiling Fan Shaking

so I measured all the blades in relation to a fixed spot on the ceiling and it appears that 2 of them are aff by about an 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch. I tried to bend the irons and it did improve so I went further and took everyones advice and checked the screws on the blades and the motor. There were some screws that werent that tight holding the irons to the motor. I tightened them all and now it is shaking worse them before.

What do i do? Did I tighten them to much or do i need to take the blades off and reseat everything?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #9

Ceiling Fan Shaking

The mounting system used on ceiling fans needs to have dampening to keep the AC buzz from being amplified by your ceiling. You may have defeated this by augmenting the attachment.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #10

Ceiling Fan Shaking

You could try re-arranging the blades at random. You might get lucky. If that doesn't do it, take it back to the store for a replacement or refund.

You could maybe take down the fan, lay it axis-horizontal and try balancing it yourself. But if you modify the fan, you are unlikely to be able to return it. If you don't get lucky re-arranging the blades, just take it back.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #11

Ceiling Fan Shaking

Thanks. I think m only recouse is to take it down and again re install it and I might get lucky or just return it and get a replacement. I know the mounting is secure and it barely shakes on medium but i still am unhappy with the vibration.

Everything i attempt to do to make it better ends up making it worse.

Right now my only option is to not have the fan go higher then medium. That keeps it from shaking and the vibration noise comming from the light kit is gone also.

Last edited by VinnyBags; 07-25-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
JOATMON

Ceiling Fan Shaking

You could try weighing the blades.....you might have one that is heavier or lighter than the other ones.

BTW....when you say you measured the blades relative to the ceiling...I'm assuming you measured both the leading and trailing edges?

There are two parts to the measurements....

1. You want all the blades to have the same pitch...if one blade has more pitch than the others....big wobble. This is the most common problem.

2. You also want all of them to be on the same plane....otherwise, as the fan turns, you can see one or more blades higher or lower than the others...doesn't cause wobble...just looks stupid.

So...go back and check your pitch....it should be easy....the actual distance to the ceiling is not the number you use, but rather the difference in distance measured from the front edge as compared to the back edge. In other words, if one blade has a difference of 3/4" (pitch), you want all the blades to have exactly the same pitch, 3/4".

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #13

Ceiling Fan Shaking

I don't think I've seen a ceiling fan that doesn't shake some on high. Didn't the fan come with a weight to balance blades?
bova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #14

Ceiling Fan Shaking

I've installed a bunch of ceiling fans. Four in my last house; three in the current one. Never once have I had to use the little balance weights that came with them. I'd take that fan back and get another one. May be wrong, but I think Harbor Breeze is a Home Depot brand. Cheap junk.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Kyle_in_rure (07-25-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #15

Ceiling Fan Shaking

I agree, you should probably just return to the fan, but make sure you take it to the right store. The last reply said Harbor Breeze was made by Home Depot which is incorrect.

Hampton Bay = Home Depot Store Brand Ceiling Fan

Harbor Breeze = Lowes Store Brand Ceiling Fan

CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote