Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lighting with No Attic Access...Ugh.

So...
We've decided to tackle installation of both a ceiling fan and recessed lighting in our bedroom without attic access.

The idea was to cut through the drywall along the wiring route and run a "piggybacked" line from the closest existing wall switch to the ceiling fan, and another for the recessed lighting. The line we would be "piggybacking" power existing fixtures.

I have a switch loop in both switches (of course), so it will require new 3-wire cabling (right?) from the existing fixtures and I wanted to see if there were any suggestions to make the process easier, as it will require some "demo" to open up the area for wiring.

Any suggestions? Or am I just crazy.

Mike

caps84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lighting with No Attic Access...Ugh.

Depending on how far your lights are apart, you may be able to use a long flexible bit and extension. Cut your holes for your cans and take a look around in there to see what kind of framing you have. Likely just standard wood framing, but it could be silent floor I beams, or if you are really lucky, a truss system.

Any lights that are in line with each other and parallel to the framing will be pretty easy to get wire between. But I have gotten wire clear across a room with flex bits and extensions, but you have to be mindful of what is potentially in those spaces, looking for plumbing and HVAC ducts that may be in the same room or the room above.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling fan, piggybacking, recessed lighting