Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan Question

Replacing a ceiling fan and I am stumped on the wiring. At the ceiling I have a black/white/red/ground coming out. At the wall switch I have black/white/red.

The new fan has a remote and only has a black and white wire to connect at the ceiling point. The previous fan I took out had a blue wire which connected to the red.

The light switch that was previously there was two switches housed in one box. One switch controlled the fan while the other controlled the light. I am now wanting to change this to a single pole switch.

My initial thought was I could connect the black to black & white to white at the ceiling and then the black and white at the switch & cap off both ends of the red, but nothing seems to happen.

I then switched it to red to black at the ceiling and replaced the black with the red at the switch and nothing happened then either.

Thoughts?

b_kauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Ceiling Fan Question

How is the switch wired?
Usually the red is not used with a remote control.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Ceiling Fan Question

The switch is being rewired wired, as I am replacing the switch as well. Previously there was a switch with two nobs, one turned on the fan, the other the light.

The switch I am putting in is just a single pole light switch. So my intial thought was just use the black and white at the switch and white and black to white and black at the ceiling fan as well but that didn't work.

Last edited by b_kauz; 11-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
b_kauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Ceiling Fan Question

I'm not an electrician but I've done it a time or two and its always confusing but try this:

At the fan there should be two sets of wires. One is the power source and one goes to the switch. Attach the white wire from the power cord to the white wire from the fan. Attach the black wire from power cord to black from the switch cord. Attach the white wire from the switch cord to the black wire in the fan. Attach all ground(green and/or gold) together at the fan. Cap the red wire. At the switch attach the white wire to the top right screw and the black wire to the bottom right screw and the ground to the green screw.

No promises but I think that will work. Does the power cord at the fan also have a red wire like the switch cord does?
baandla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Ceiling Fan Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by baandla View Post
I'm not an electrician but I've done it a time or two and its always confusing but try this:

At the fan there should be two sets of wires. One is the power source and one goes to the switch. Attach the white wire from the power cord to the white wire from the fan. Attach the black wire from power cord to black from the switch cord. Attach the white wire from the switch cord to the black wire in the fan. Attach all ground(green and/or gold) together at the fan. Cap the red wire. At the switch attach the white wire to the top right screw and the black wire to the bottom right screw and the ground to the green screw.

No promises but I think that will work. Does the power cord at the fan also have a red wire like the switch cord does?
If there is a xx-3 cable to the switch there is no reason to use the white as a hot. In a properly wired switch loop the white is the hot feed to the switch, not the switched return from the switch. down on white, back on black.

In a single pole switch there is no need to specify a certain screw for the power in. It will work either way.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #6

Ceiling Fan Question

Thanks Jim. i knew someone more qualified would come along soon.

baandla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling fan, light switch, wiring