Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Ceiling fan problems

We are having some odd problems with two of our fans. They randomly stop working (while running), maybe once or twice a month. Heavy amount of fiddling with the controls (on/off, etc) eventually get them going again, but somtimes it takes weeks of fiddling with the controls before they get going again. Once they get going, they may work again for months. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. We almost replaced them thinking they went bad.

1. They are two different brands (Minka Napoli and Hunter - forget the model) one with separate light/fan controls, one with single (transmitter based). Lights always still work. Two different rooms. They do not die at the same time. The minka fan usually runs constantly during the summer, whereas the hunter one has more modest usage.

2. When they are "dead", you can feel them humming as if they are trying to kick in. Sometimes they move a tiny bit. Manually trying to get them going doesn't help. With the minka you can hear the built-in receiver clicking and changing speeds, meaning that it received the command, but it doesn't necessarily transalte into movement. Touching both fans in this "dead" state you can feel them vibrating slightly, especially at top speed.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I find it odd that two fans in two different rooms from two different manufacturers have started displaying same issue. Is it just a coincidence and is this a sign of two dying units?

injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Ceiling fan problems

Check to ensure your reversing switch is not stuck in the middle. Otherwise, you may have a loose wirenut or connection inside of the fan cup.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #3

Ceiling fan problems

The minka doesn't have a reverse switch, it's all electronically controlled. But I will check. as of now, they are both working again! Since the minka is responding to the controls and it's trying to start (I can hear it changing speeds when I use the remote control, even though it doesn't get moving) I kinda' doubt it's a lose wirenut..

Could it be accumulation of dust or something inside the fan? I suppose next time it gets stuck I can use some compressed air. But I don't know what area is most likely to be affected by dust in this way.

it could be ghosts, you know.. halloween and all.
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling fan