Ceiling Fan Problem, Please Help - Electrical - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,611
Rewards Points: 2,130
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


can you spread those wires out some and take another picture or two

Advertisement

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
can you spread those wires out some and take another picture or two
sure what do you want me to take a pic of? what do you want to see?
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,611
Rewards Points: 2,130
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by jhack836 View Post
sure what do you want me to take a pic of? what do you want to see?
The wires at the outlet...kind of spread them apart so its easier to see what goes where. Are there any cables that come in from the bottom of the outlet box.

I asked how many wires are under the wire nut I circled. You said

""no there are 4 wires . 3 black and 1 white. the one that is B goes with the white up to the right. one black goes up to the left and the other black is connected to A""
.
.
.


Above you say there are 3 black wires under the wire nut but you only described 2 blacks(one black goes up to the left and the other black is connected to A) where
does the other black go? I just don't see 4 wires under that wire nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan Problem, please help-img_1875.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 02-12-2012 at 11:08 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,222
Rewards Points: 2,414
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


1.) Which white and black at the receptacle is the incoming power cable?

2.) You show only a single cable at the ceiling fan and a single cable at the light switch ?

3.) You mentioned by-passing the switch. If the cable coming into the ceiling fan is bypassing the switch is it connected to the incoming power cable at the receptacle? If so please point out in your pictures where that cable (black and white) going to the ceiling fan is connected at the receptacle.

4.) Also are you using wire nuts at the fan? Your just showing wires sorta twisted together ... make sure those connections are in wire nuts.
__________________
" One nice thing about the NEC articles ... you have lots of choices"

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, California
Posts: 265
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Since the switch was wired as part of a switch loop, you cannot wire the fan directly to the switch. Instead, you'll need to wire it in to the outlet box. But first, you should confirm that you have enough box capacity in the outlet box to handle the new wires. Some metal boxes have their capacity stamped on them. Do you see any markings on outlet box along the lines of "XX Cu. in."? If not, pull out a ruler and measure the depth of the box. Also check back before going ahead and wiring this up. There's a chance you'll need to replace the box.

As for the actual wiring, am I correct in recalling that you would like the switch to control the fan instead of the outlet? If so you'll wire this up by connecting the new white wire to the white wirenut group on the left. For the hot, you'll remove the black wire going into the outlet at B, and wirenut it to the new black wire. To restore power to the bottom of the outlet, you can do one of the following: 1) buy a new outlet with the tab between the screws, 2) add an additional pigtail from the group wirenutted on the right to the bottom screw (may require a larger wirenut), 3) add a wire from the back entrance of A to the bottom screw or back entrance at B. I'm not a fan of the back stabs or unnecessary pigtails, thus the reasoning behind my ordering. For the ground, you'll remove the green wire going to the outlet. Finally, you'll wirenut the following together
1) The three old grounds (assuming they didn't snip one or more back)
2) The new ground
3) A green/bare pigtail going to the outlet screw
4) A green/bare pigtail going to the grounding screw on the box
You may want to break these up between 2 wirenuts with an additional pigtail.

As an additional note, if you have a ground wire coming in to the switch box, it should be pigtailed to both the switch's ground screw and the ground screw in the metal box.

Last edited by a_lost_shadow; 02-12-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Updated for additional wire
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


there were 4 wires total, 3 coming in from somewhere and the one going to A.

I spread them apart so you can see where they go.

B goes up with the white that was connected at the wire nut

1 one black goes down with a white

1 black goes up with a white

the 2 whites (one up and one down) are wire nutted togther and have a pigtail which is then plugged into the bottom of the outlet
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan Problem, please help-img_1878.jpg   Ceiling Fan Problem, please help-img_1880.jpg  
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
1.) Which white and black at the receptacle is the incoming power cable?

2.) You show only a single cable at the ceiling fan and a single cable at the light switch ?

3.) You mentioned by-passing the switch. If the cable coming into the ceiling fan is bypassing the switch is it connected to the incoming power cable at the receptacle? If so please point out in your pictures where that cable (black and white) going to the ceiling fan is connected at the receptacle.

4.) Also are you using wire nuts at the fan? Your just showing wires sorta twisted together ... make sure those connections are in wire nuts.
yes i used wire nuts, just took them off for the pic. i ran a wire from my basement directly to the fan to test the power and the fan to make sure i didnt wire the outlet wrong. i re wired the outlet to how it was so i could send pics.

Last edited by jhack836; 02-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
Since the switch was wired as part of a switch loop, you cannot wire the fan directly to the switch. Instead, you'll need to wire it in to the outlet box. But first, you should confirm that you have enough box capacity in the outlet box to handle the new wires. Some metal boxes have their capacity stamped on them. Do you see any markings on outlet box along the lines of "XX Cu. in."? If not, pull out a ruler and measure the depth of the box. Also check back before going ahead and wiring this up. There's a chance you'll need to replace the box.

As for the actual wiring, am I correct in recalling that you would like the switch to control the fan instead of the outlet? If so you'll wire this up by connecting the new white wire to the white wirenut group on the left. For the hot, you'll remove the black wire going into the outlet at B, and wirenut it to the new black wire. To restore power to the bottom of the outlet, you can do one of the following: 1) buy a new outlet with the tab between the screws, 2) add an additional pigtail from the group wirenutted on the right to the bottom screw (may require a larger wirenut), 3) add a wire from the back entrance of A to the bottom screw or back entrance at B. I'm not a fan of the back stabs or unnecessary pigtails, thus the reasoning behind my ordering. For the ground, you'll remove the green wire going to the outlet. Finally, you'll wirenut the following together
1) The two old grounds (assuming they didn't snip one back)
2) The new ground
3) A green/bare pigtail going to the outlet screw
4) A green/bare pigtail going to the grounding screw on the box

As an additional note, if you have a ground wire coming in to the switch box, it should be pigtailed to both the switch's ground screw and the ground screw in the metal box.
thanks for the writeup, the box is 2in deep
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, California
Posts: 265
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


So which wire is incoming power, the upper left or the lower right? Nevermind, I see you already answered it while I was typing.

Also, do the walls of the box go straight back, or is part of the box under the wall?

Last edited by a_lost_shadow; 02-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
So which wire is incoming power, the upper left or the lower right? Nevermind, I see you already answered it while I was typing.

Also, do the walls of the box go straight back, or is part of the box under the wall?
power is coming in from the black from the top left of the box
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
So which wire is incoming power, the upper left or the lower right? Nevermind, I see you already answered it while I was typing.

Also, do the walls of the box go straight back, or is part of the box under the wall?
the box doesnt go straight back. it looks like it goes to the left and right about a inch or so so it is not a complete rectangle box
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #42
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,222
Rewards Points: 2,414
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Deleted to avoid confusion
__________________
" One nice thing about the NEC articles ... you have lots of choices"

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-12-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Look at this picture
no,the other end of the wire that is connected to the ceiling fan is still in the attic. the pics you have seen of the wiring is all original like how it was before i started the project.

i did at one point run the wire from the fan to my basement as it was over 20ft long and i had a easy access point just to test out the fan before i did wire anything because i didnt want to wire to the wrong spot and have to re do it all, thats when i realized the fan was not working at all when i bypasses everything
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #44
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,222
Rewards Points: 2,414
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


Ok .. you are never going get this solved till you understand what we are asking.

We have to know what black and white wires in that receptacle box are incoming power ... forget the up and down description. Point them out in the picture.

Then I need to know where the two wires in the ceiling fan cable are connected.
__________________
" One nice thing about the NEC articles ... you have lots of choices"

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Md/Pa
Posts: 1,482
Rewards Points: 1,320
Default

Ceiling Fan Problem, please help


To the OP......Correct me if I missed something but I just read every one of your posts and I don't see where you mentioned that the fan will in fact run. You are trying to troubleshoot with 2 unknowns here, will the fan run and is the wiring correct.

Advertisement

zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceiling Paint Problem camaro guy Painting 3 12-04-2011 09:20 PM
Drop ceiling problem Bandit37804 Remodeling 4 02-04-2010 01:34 PM
Thermostat VS Ceiling fan MrShadetree0222 HVAC 38 01-23-2010 04:29 AM
Finishing Basement..ceiling problem cornick Remodeling 12 12-08-2009 11:36 AM
Ceiling fan control switch problem mandolynn Electrical 4 05-09-2009 06:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts