Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling fan power

My ceiling fan is wired continious hot off my line that feeds my furnace. So when my ac turns on it dims and I have replaced 4 fan motors due to this Should I pull off a outlit in a room or switch or I am going to be running 12-2 off a 20 amp to my bathroom which will be a closet light 2 outlits a 3 bulb light and exhaust fan. What would be the best thing to doo I can easly access the wire.
sjthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #2

ceiling fan power

Your FAN "dims"? Is this a bathroom exhaust fan you are talking about?

I am NOT a code expert, but your current situation and potential solution sound a little suspicious to me. I would not be surprised to find that a furnace is required to be on it's own circuit. I understand, also, that there are codes requiring bathroom cirucuits, GFI, what can be on them, etc. How is your bathroom currently wired?

In my experience, access of the wire is dependent on the house and wall construction.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Just call me Andrew

ceiling fan power

You cannot use your bathroom outlet circuit to feed a ceiling fan in another room.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #4

ceiling fan power

Run a new branch circuit to the furnace and/or one to the AC (is this easy given the distance?) leaving the circuit to the bathroom and fan intact and passing by the furnace.

If the fan dims far and long enough to damage its motor, there is something else wrong with the circuit, like a loose connection.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-01-2010 at 08:21 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #5

ceiling fan power

Well for one its on a 15amp circuit with 14-3 wire it is a old house built in 1974 so alot of stuff is not to code. I am going to run the dedicated to the master bath cause now it it 15 amp to bath and 3 plugs in bedroom and 2 in living room like I said shoty wirng in old homes, I guess it didn't matter back then. lol I belive that a ac blower motor and circuit board will draw more than 15amps I don't know though.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #6

ceiling fan power

If the bathroom is going to get the new circuit, don't forget to run 12 gauge wire and make it 20 amp. One (20 amp.) circuit can feed everything on one bathroom (only) or the receptacles (only) in two or more bathrooms. THe one circuit per bathroom is better otherwise using hair dryers in both bathrooms at the same time may trip the breaker.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Totally screwed together

ceiling fan power

You should run a new circuit the furnace with a 12ga line.

BTW, 1974 isn't THAT old for a house!
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #8

ceiling fan power

not really tons of homes older I grew up in a house built in the 20's for the workers in the imperial sugar factory I am from sugar land texas.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #9

ceiling fan power

I am cancelling my wiring bathroom plan too much money to have permit and electritian to check new breaker box.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Totally screwed together

ceiling fan power

You weren't going to do the work yourself?
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote